ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Senior Program Associate provides administrative and technical support for programs under the supervision of the Senior Program Officer based in DC and in close collaboration with the Project Director, Program Officer, and Middle East and North Africa Regional Director based in Berlin. The Senior Program Associate will be expected to perform complex tasks requiring prior experience, education, or training. The ideal candidate will bring strong analytical and organizational skills to this role, providing a broad range of support to projects across the Middle East and North Africa portfolio.
Right now, Internews’ HQ offices are closed and staff are working remotely until at least 1 July 2021. Until the situation meaningfully changes, this position will also function remotely. The candidate will be expected to reside in the Washington, DC metro area and have the desire and ability to commute to the downtown DC office once it is safe to do so.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents, and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Assist the Project Director and the Program Officer in the preparation of subgrant agreements with project partners and grantees;
- Assist the Project Director and the Business Officer in the review of partners’ narrative and financial reporting, including translation to English if needed, and coordinate with the relevant Internews Financial and Monitoring and Evaluation staff;
- Assist in preparing key project documents (reports, sub grant budgets, internal documents): write, edit, proof, revise and assemble finished materials;
- Carry out research as assigned and in support of ongoing projects and new initiatives;
- Track and manage personnel invoices and contracts, expenses and credit reports;
- Coordinate travel logistics, assist with visa applications, and arrange accommodations for the Project Director, Project partners and other Internews representatives within the department; produce and/or expense reports and submit vouchers;
- Enforce procurement policy for purchase of equipment, software, and other products and services, for project team as well as for project partners;
- Assist the Director and Senior Program Officer with project oversight and planning, including progress towards program deliverables;
- Contribute to the sectoral watch: NGOs domestically and abroad working on issues involving the media, civil society, freedom of press, health and the environment, children’s rights and women’s issues;
- Upon request, contribute to the development of up-to-date briefings and PR materials for active programs;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Relevant university degree or equivalent
- 1-3 years development project experience, including field experience, OR a relevant advanced degree
- Experience with MS Excel and Word
- Superior analytical and writing ability for proposal development
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills
- Experience with proposal writing
- Experience making complex travel arrangements
- Proven organization skills, with attention to detail
- Proven ability to multi-task and prioritize a shifting workload
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment
- Ability to travel to facilitate field activities (when it is safe to do so), and participate in meetings and conferences
- Fluency in English; strong English-language communication skills (reading, writing and speaking)
- Fluency in Dari/Pashto or Farsi
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.