IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our six decades of experience to create opportunity where it’s needed most. In FY16, our long-term investments in developing countries rose to nearly $19 billion, leveraging our capital, expertise and influence to help the private sector end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit http://www.ifc.org
IFC is seeking a Senior/ Chemical/Process Engineer (Energy and Resource Efficiency Specialist) to help us deliver this service, by leading client engagements resulting in the implementation of resource efficiency and clean energy investments. In EMENA, the IFC advisory program will align with investment strategy to serve clients in the following sectors: construction materials, machinery, textiles, pulp and paper, mining, petro-chemicals, fertilizers, and animal farming/food processing.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year term appointment.Background / General description
The Specialist will assume responsibility for leading client work across target sectors scoping and delivering client-facing advisory engagements that can lead to attractive investments financed by client, IFC and other sources. We define energy solutions as a combination of energy efficiency and captive energy generation, including potential wheeling schemes. Water solution is defined as defined as a combination of water efficiency and optimal operations of on-site water preparation and waste water treatment. Duties and responsibilities include the following:
1. Delivery to clients
Design and deliver focused advisory engagements to IFC clients that can lead to investments and performance improvements, i.e.: conduct initial walk-through assessments; define the business case of the intervention to clients and compose proposals and/or pitchbooks, define scope of required support to client; engage external consultants on as needed basis and oversee quality of their work; present results of engagements to management of the client company. This will include:
Support Regional Leads in defining target clients through mapping exercises and market assessments done jointly with IFC investment teams;
Independently assess client consumption of energy, water and other key resources if applicable and current resource supply; identify low cost/housekeeping improvements of client’s production operations and utilities;
Conduct initial walk-through assessments (scoping visits) to validate initial assessment, collect additional information, and identify cost effective energy and resource efficiency investment opportunities;
Create client baseline scenario using combination of client data, metered data if available, spot measurements, and/or estimates based on installed equipment rating/ process need/ and operational requirements;
Conduct comparative analysis of client energy, water and other key resources use (overall, and process specific) against industry best practice and global/regional benchmarks;
Identify, analyze and estimate potential investments and calculate cost/benefit of resource efficiency and captive/distributed renewable energy investments; including both low cost ‘good housekeeping’ options and more capital intensive measures;
In addition to traditional industrial resource efficiency opportunities at the client site, identify and evaluate opportunities in waste-to-energy or alternative products from waste;
Evaluate client operational patterns in order to optimize energy efficiency or captive energy solutions;
Identify and gain understanding of client’s needs, development plans and priorities through consultations with client technical staff and management;
Provide independent review and due diligence of existing client ideas and proposals related to energy and efficiency as required;
Define scope and estimated level of effort of potential IFC advisory support to client;
Provide detailed technical support for design of action plan for implementation measures selected by the client;
Engage external sub-contracted expertise on an as-needed basis and oversee quality of their work;
Provide technical inputs/specifications to clients for their use in bidding/procurement of identified measures;
Directly provide quality assurance assessment to client during implementation; and
Present results of engagements to management of the client company;
• Develop and maintain client relationships in Turkey and MENA priority countries jointly with the Leads and in close cooperation with IFC investment teams;
• Support appraisals for investment projects dedicated for energy efficiency/captive energy, if required.
2. Implementing sector level work
• Support market/sector scoping efforts in priority countries in order to identify latent regional, sector and client level opportunities;
• Provide guidance to external consultants to conduct sector/technology studies with an objective to boost adoption of most effective energy solutions;
• In some cases work with IFC financial markets teams to craft financing solutions to address market opportunities;
• Represent the E&RE Program in seminars, conferences, other sector events.
3. Capturing impacts and knowledge
• Work with Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) officers and E&RE teams to ensure that firm and sector level results are properly captured;
• Contribute to corporate knowledge base and share effective approaches with team members and other IFC units, develop case studies and other materials based on client experiences;
• Help fulfill internal and donor reporting requirements.DRDuties and Accountabilities
• Master’s degree in process/chemical engineering or equivalent and at least 10-12 years of relevant experience, PhD. In chemical engineering is a plus;
• Technical background/competency in IFC target sectors with recognized track record in delivering technical advice in industrial resource efficiency consultancy assignments, and/or investment projects in energy and resource efficiency;
• Proven experience with clients in construction materials, machinery, fertilizers, pulp and paper, and/or animal farming/food processing sectors is a plus.
• Demonstrated ability to deliver innovative sector level work with demonstrated track record of results;
• Self-starter with strong organizational, and problem-solving skills, including ability to demonstrate the business case for improving energy and resource efficiency for private sector clients;
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely for expert and non-expert audiences, including ability to communicate technical and financial aspects of E&RE projects to diverse audiences;
• Excellent communication skills including client relationships, presentation skills and negotiation skills;
• Results-oriented approach with demonstrated history of accomplishments;
• Well networked within the professional community in relevant industries;
• Fluency in English and in Turkish is required, ability to work in other ECA languages is a plus.
The Specialist will co-report to ECA Regional Lead and EMENA Lead for Resource Efficiency. Level of the position will be defined based on experience of the successful candidate.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year term appointment with possibility to extend.SCSelection Criteria