Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Portfolio Management Division (PFPM) within the Procurement, Portfolio and Financial Management Department (PPFD). In the area of portfolio management, PPFD is responsible for (i) assessing the performance of ADB’s portfolio, including preparation of the annual portfolio performance report, reporting on quarterly portfolio performance and project classification system, and conducting special studies; (ii) preparing regular and ad hoc reports on the status of ADB’s portfolio; (iii) managing selected portfolio databases, including data entry and data quality assurance; (iv) supporting and managing ADB’s automated project management systems; (v) maintaining PPFD’s website; (vi) providing technical and analytical portfolio management support to user departments; (vii) overseeing, administering and advising on Project Administration Instructions (PAIs); (viii) providing secretariat support to the Operations Review Meeting-Portfolio; (ix) leading interagency engagement on portfolio and project management issues, including participation in multilateral development bank portfolio management meetings; and (x) commenting and advising, in coordination with the Strategy and Policy Department, on operational policies and procedures.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The position plays a key role in aligning portfolio reporting with ADB’s Strategy 2030, providing strong support to the dramatic modernization of ADB’s business processes, and delivering on PPFD’s Roadmap 2022. The incumbent will work intensively on: (a) the implementation of Digital Agenda 2030 by participating and contributing to Digital Agenda 2030 project activities such as the Sovereign Operations (SovOps), the contract components in the Integrated Disbursement System (IDS), the Improving ADB’s Data Assets (IADA) project, and any other initiatives as required from design to rollout; (b) performing quality assurance and ensuring ADB’s existing systems will be enhanced, and applications under Digital Agenda 2030 will be implemented, meeting PPFD’s business requirements and ensuring sustainability; (c) real-time portfolio reporting on key project processing and implementation indicators by utilizing reliable data from ADB’s IT systems; (d) establishing and maintaining portfolio reports and dashboards such as the Portfolio Alert and Warming System (PAWS), etc.; and (e) conducting special data analysis and researches that provide insights about ADB’s evolving project processing and implementation, shifting operations focus and business/country needs, issues, challenges, and best practices during project processing and implementation for effective management decision-making. The incumbent will report to designated International Staff and/or senior National Staff.
Contributes independently to PFPM’s Technology and Innovation Team by completing and/or supervising a variety of tasks covering the following functions, including but not limited to:
Digital Agenda 2030 Project Implementation
- With the vision of modernized portfolio reporting, consolidates reporting requirements gathered from PFPM that meet PPFD’s current and future needs, provides the requirements to Digital Agenda 2030 project teams for implementation, and transforms the existing reporting processes to provide insightful results as input to portfolio-related management decision-making.
- Conducts user acceptance testing and other quality assurance activities and ensures the future systems produce portfolio data and information consistently across all ADB’s systems.
- Participates in project activities such as workshops, sprint meetings and other project meetings; reviews project documents and provides constructive comments and inputs; and identifies issues and works with project teams for resolutions.
Real-time Portfolio Reporting
- With a leading role in PFPM, supports ADB’s digital transformation initiatives by recommending innovative and modernized ways (e.g. Robotic Process Automation) of data gathering and reporting processes such as data extraction from various data sources (e.g., ADB’s Operations Data Store (ODS), eOperations, IDS), auto reconciliation, real-time portfolio data analysis, and issue identification.
- Designs and builds user-friendly and insightful portfolio dashboards and reports; designs, establishes, and maintains the Portfolio Alert and Warning System (PAWS).
- Analyzes and identifies indicators that reflect portfolio changes, trends, issues, challenges, and best practices in ADB’s operations.
Portfolio Reporting System Support and Enhancement
- Working with ADB teams, ensures “single source of truth” and data governance are properly exercised in ADB’s existing IT systems; and responds to inquiries related to real-time portfolio data and reporting from regional and non-regional departments.
- Enhances and maintains ADB’s existing systems, and facilitates innovative and efficient portfolio reporting and portfolio management, including eOps, IDS, ADB’s Management Dashboard, COVID-19 Dashboard, and PPFD’s chatbot PIA.
Special Study and Research
- Conducts special data analysis and research using data from ADB’s IT systems, independently and with the team, by identifying meaningful topics related to ADB’s operations; provides innovative new products and services from a portfolio perspective such as proposing topics for factsheets, knowledge products, etc., and provides insights for ADB’s evolving project processing and implementation such as issues, challenges, and best practices.
- Guides administrative staff on report designing, development, and implementation; conducts on-the-job training for administrative staff; assists in planning, organizing, and distributing work assignments; performs backup functions/roles, as needed; and performs other duties and ad hoc assignments as may be assigned from time to time.
Relevant Experience & Requirements•
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Management/Administration, Engineering, Economics, Financial Management, or Computer Science; preferably with Master’s degree or equivalent
- At least 8 years of work experience with reporting systems and databases, and in managing such databases and/or applications; and at least 4 years of supervisory experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency and experience in portfolio/project management and portfolio reporting.
- In-depth knowledge of ADB’s portfolio management and project administration systems (e.g., IDS, eOperations, and Operations Dashboard) and experience in managing databases or applications; detailed knowledge of project performance, portfolio indicators, data sources, definitions, and methodologies.
- Knowledgeable of ADB’s evolving policies and the vision for efficient and effective portfolio reporting; ability to recommend innovative and creative ways of portfolio reporting that are beneficial to ADB’s operations.
- Analytical proficiency in using Microsoft Excel, PL/SQL, or T-SQL and knowledge of at least one leading Business Intelligence tool; ability to accurately work with large spreadsheets or datasets, and its functions and formulas.
- Good knowledge of statistical concepts, and methods; strong analytical and problem-solving skills that can be applied to generating statistical reports; strong ability to work well with numbers and details, while linking to the overall result/objective.
- Ability to synthesize various disciplines, e.g., data analysis, data architecture, report design, database development, programming, and graphic design.
- Ability to manage priorities and workload within the general schedule of work, instructions, and standardized practices.
- Ability to work collaboratively with the team as a constructive team member; positive attitude towards work; motivated on continuous self-improvement of skillsets and knowledge.
- Prior experience of working in an international organization is an advantage.
- Strong client orientation and ability to effectively interact with staff at all levels within and outside the department.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Levels 3.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.