This Outreach and Communications Director, located in the Washington, D.C. area will lead the development and execution of external communications and outreach efforts designed to proactively engage stakeholders and multiple new partners; and increase understanding to drive action. S/he will design strategic communications initiatives, in consultation with the client, including leadership messaging, strategy development and stakeholder engagement. The ideal candidate will possess a combination of strong analytic, writing, management and leadership skills while bringing strong technical skills in public relations, behavior change communications, marketing and/or strategic communications. The Outreach and Communications Director will coordinate extensive subcontracted work and engage with offices spread across the U.S. and in Washington, D.C. Note: This position is contingent upon award and is expected to start in January 2020.
**Please note: Only U.S. citizens are eligible for this position.**
- Undertake technical work in strategic communications, including in print and broadcast media.
- Manage and coordinate the work of several communications subcontractors.
- Enhance the usability of communications products and messaging.
- Drive messaging using traditional and non-traditional communications approaches.
- Translate complex technical information into user-friendly and new formats.
- Produce high-quality documents, brochures, PPTs and other collateral materials as needed.
- Serve as a resource to regional communications officers to share best practices and create learning opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree required in public relations, marketing, communications or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience in strategic communications or a related field that drove behavior change among U.S. audiences.
- At least 5 years of experience managing and coordinating subcontracted work.
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing communications strategies in a cost-effective manner.
- Demonstrated ability to craft information messages in various formats including success stories, website content, social media content and more.
- Extensive writing and editing experience.