SURR GP is one of the Bank’s largest operational GPs, with about 550 staff, 18 managers, three directors, and one Sr. Director. SURR GP is implementing a portfolio of more than 270 projects and $26 billion in net commitments financed mainly by the International Development Association (IDA) and the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD). Other financing sources include the Global Environment Fund (GEF) and various Trust Funds. In addition, SURR GP teams are working on more than 70 projects in the pipeline, which are expected to be approved in FY17 for a commitment amount that is estimated at more than $6 billion.
In order to provide a strong analytical background to projects and bring to our clients cutting edge knowledge, SURR GP teams undertake various knowledge activities including Non-Lending Technical Assistance and Economic and Sector Work. SURR GP also implements Impact Evaluation operations to quantify the impact of specific interventions. For FY16, SURR GP delivered a record 220 pieces of Advisory Services and Analytics and is currently working on more than 300 knowledge activities.
To support the management of its large and complex portfolio, SURR GP is planning to hire two Senior Operations Officers to work directly with operational teams and Practice Managers on the quality assurance of operations at any stage of the project cycle.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2-year term appointment.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year term appointment.
• Serve as an expert adviser to assigned Practice Manager/s (PMs) on specific and/or generic operational aspects of preparation, approval, implementation, and completion of lending activities with a particular focus on complex/problem/high-risk operations, including providing advice on operational policies and procedures and financing mechanisms.
• Advise task teams to ensure timely and high quality delivery of the program including review of and assistance to teams on project documentation (PCNs, PADs/PPs, program documents, Board packages, ICRs, etc.) to ensure: proper linkage between Project Development Objective (PDO), components/activities; relevance of project design; robust institutional and risk assessments; sound implementation arrangements; adequate financial and economic analysis; consistency with sector and regional strategies; internal consistency and coherence of the storyline; clarity of the results framework/M&E; readiness for implementation; responsiveness to comments and guidance provided by managers, Global Leads, peer reviewers, review meetings (e.g. PCN, QER, ROC/DM), as relevant.
• Support SURR GP Front Office review functions as needed, including of packages for Operations Committee and/or Regional Operations Committee meetings; Mid-Term and final ISRs, ICRs, and IEG ICR review comments.
• Advise assigned PMs on portfolio issues. Supported by Program Assistants monitor cross cutting issues affecting portfolio performance, including procurement, financial management, disbursements, environmental and social safeguards, and Inspection Panel cases. Supported by Program Assistants design and carry out specific portfolio reviews, and support the PMs on house-keeping (e.g. milestones, ISRs, GRMs, MTRs, closing dates, etc.)
• Represent the assigned PMs in deliverables and portfolio meetings with senior management and in dialogue with internal and external partners on portfolio and implementation quality. Supported by Program Assistants, monitor assigned Regional portfolio (projects and ASA), including project ratings and action plans.
• Meet with project teams to discuss strategy for project supervision; advise the assigned PMs on management letters, extensions, cancellations and restructuring.
• In-depth knowledge and understanding of the project cycle, and instruments and processes related to project preparation and implementation.
• Solid experience working on quality and portfolio management in the World Bank, being able to demonstrate in-depth knowledge on World Bank’s policies, systems, and procedures.
• Solid experience in advising teams on the quality of PCNs, PADS, ISRs, ICRs and other lending related documentation, this includes guidance and/or training on results frameworks and M&E systems for projects, programs and strategies; guidance in the design and implementation of operational products and financing mechanism; guidance on risk assessments, ratings and mitigation measures for ILs, and/or DPLs either directly or through corporate review processes.
• Strong track-record of being proactive and taking the initiative to deliver results under time pressure.
• Strong English language spoken and written communications skills including the ability to speak and write persuasively and present ideas clearly and concisely.
• Additional language skill/s at a working level (Arabic, Chinese, French, Portuguese, and/or Spanish) is a plus.
• Superior inter-personal skills with proven ability to work cooperatively with multi-disciplinary teams, and all levels of staff and managers.
• Recognized by peers for providing related high quality portfolio and problem solving advice to teams.
• Track record of coaching and mentoring less experienced staff on operational quality issues.
Required Core Competencies:
• Drive for Results: Takes initiative, and develops and implements solutions that show understanding of how clients and/or own work achieves results that are financially, environmentally and socially sustainable. Holds self and team accountable for risk management and outcomes. Has a track record of taking initiative and delivering results for internal and external clients.
• Collaborates Within Teams and Across Boundaries: Has a track record of effective and respectful collaboration across organizational boundaries, bringing differing ideas into the forefront, giving credit where credit is due.
• Leads and Innovates: Encourages and works well with others to identify, incubate and implement relevant solutions. Identifies opportunities in changing circumstances and energizes others to continuously improve, using intentional strategies to boost morale, team spirit, and productivity. Helps others to understand and solve problems.
• Creates, Applies and Shares Knowledge: Ensures systematic sharing of good practice and learning from lessons from across WBG, clients, and partners. Builds networks across the WBG and is known across WBG in his/her subject area and is sought out by colleagues to advise, peer review, or contribute to knowledge products of others. Seeks mentoring opportunities with more experienced staff to deepen or strengthen his/her professional knowledge and mentors junior staff.
• Makes Smart Decisions: Applies critical thinking and seeks inputs and experience from others to recommend a course of action. Evaluates risk and anticipates the short and long term implications of decisions. Commits to a decision and takes action once a decision has been reached.