Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
1) Multiple positions at various levels may be filled from this vacancy notice.
2) Actual position title and level will be based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience and job scope that will be assigned to the selected candidates.
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
This is a fixed-term assignment for a period of 3 years. The PMU’s term will be coterminous with the period of implementation of the Project. Thus, the initial term of PMU will be for three (3) years, which may be extended depending on business needs. This vacancy is open to internal and external applicants.
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position will be part of the Project Management Unit (PMU) of the Sovereign Operations IT Project, which will be placed under the Strategy, Policy and Partnerships Department (SPD). The PMU is responsible for the overall implementation of the Sovereign Operations IT Project (the Project) that will address the need for an end-to-end and fully integrated system under the Digital Agenda 2030. The role of the PMU is essential considering the large scale of the investment, the significance of the program to ADB’s overall effectiveness, and the requirement to coordinate and integrate the inputs from more than ten (10) stakeholder departments. The PMU will lead the project implementation and synthesize inter-departmental efforts to ensure that the new system meets the sovereign business needs of ADB.
The PMU will work closely with the Information Technology Department (ITD) on all aspects of implementation of the Project and help ITD manage contracts with the Project’s vendors and contractors. It will also closely coordinate the implementation of the Project with other departments concerned, including regional departments, Procurement, Portfolio and Financial Management Department (PPFD), Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC), Controller’s Department (CTL), Treasury Department (TD), Office of the Secretary (SEC), and Office of Administrative Services (OAS).
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Operations Officer is responsible for ensuring that the new application systems under the Project are properly responding to ADB operational requirements. The incumbent will be assigned in one of the three functional areas: (i) project design and processing, (ii) project administration, and pipeline, and (iii) portfolio management. The incumbent coordinates and works closely with SovOps Community and ADB business areas and partners/owners, to ascertain that appropriate timing, resources, and sequencing of work efforts are applied in the Project to fulfill the deliverables within an agreed time frame and budget specified in the approved Project’s Business Case.
The position will report to Advisor and Head, PMU and/or designated International Staff.
- Builds effective work relationships among key project stakeholders, and all internal and external partners, and work closely with other departments and units to meet project deliverables. Ensure that work is guided by agreed priorities and standards;
- Plans, organizes, and implements tasks in the assigned areas to help PMU and ITD manage and coordinate the Project’s activities with SovOps Community and cross-departmental teams to ensure smooth and efficient execution of the Project’s deliverables;
- Coordinates with ITD and relevant stakeholders on capturing user and business requirements and ensures that the Project’s scope reflects the critical business needs related to the assigned areas under the sovereign operations;
- Helps PMU and ITD perform development activities under the Project to ensure full internal integration of various components of the Project and overall connectedness of the Project’s outputs with other IT systems in ADB;
- Helps the project ensure that business requirements in the assigned areas are translated into technical solutions which are appropriately validated through testing;
- Supports ITD and other stakeholders in ensuring comprehensive and smooth transition from existing operation systems, such as eOperations, Procurement Review System, Consultant Management System, and other systems;
- Contributes to planning and executing the project change management including training, developing manuals, FAQs, online help and communications and adoption;
- Helps manage realization of benefits from the investments made under the Project in alignment with the sovereign operations business needs;
- Identifies project risks in the assigned areas, recommends appropriate mitigating actions, and manages the implementation of these actions;
- Helps identify areas for improvement of business processes relevant to operations of the Project, and helps facilitate the review of these processes and related policy matters.
- Resolves project-related issues or escalate these issues for resolution by Advisor and Head, PMU;
- Monitors and evaluates project progress in assigned areas and supplies/prepares regular reports reflecting progress of the project, overall output quality and performance, risks, mitigation measures, and issues to the provide accurate and timely reports to the Project Head, the Project Steering Committee, the Executive Steering Committee, and a wider ADB community;
- Creates and maintains all program and/or project-related records into ADB’s project management tools, such as program/project information, schedules, resources and financials, exceptions and other ad-hoc information;
- Prepares related documents in compliance with ADB standards, policies, procedures, and instructions; and
- Implements other tasks, as assigned, in support of the PMU’s key functions.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Computer Science, Information Systems, or relevant fields, preferably with master’s degree or equivalent.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in at least one of the assigned functional areas (i.e., project design and processing, project administration, and pipeline and portfolio management), with at least 6 years in supervisory capacity.
- Experience in working with multiple internal and external stakeholders, and contractors/vendors.
- Ability to apply industry accepted project management and implementation methodologies.
- Demonstrated proficiency in communicating with and managing multidisciplinary teams.
- Experience in managing corporate level change management and/or corporate IT projects would be an advantage.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to collect, analyze, and interpret data from external and internal sources, reconcile or explain inconsistencies and consolidate reports.
- High level of proficiency in the use of MS Office applications.
- Good familiarity with existing operation systems, such as eOperations, Procurement Review System, Consultant Management System, and/or experience in other IT systems for project monitoring and reporting are preferable.
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship, and management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Please refer to the links for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Level 4 and 5.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.