Position Title: Senior Operations Lead, U.S. Public Health Accompaniment Unit
Reports to: Director, U.S. Public Health Accompaniment Unit
Location: Remote (US)
Position Type: Full-time, Temporary; may include evenings and weekends
Leveraging PIH’s experience and lessons learned from our COVID contact tracing collaboration with the state of Massachusetts, and our 30 years of global work in emergency epidemic response and health systems strengthening, PIH has spent the last year working with U.S. states, cities and community partners in building more equitable and effective public health responses to COVID-19 in the US.
The U.S. Public Health Accompaniment Unit team supports public sector and community partners on the frontlines of the public health response to COVID-19, to address this acute-on-chronic public health crisis, by providing technical assistance and knowledge sharing platforms to accelerate implementation of effective, equitable COVID-19 responses. Our approach to providing technical assistance to different public sector and community partners in the United States includes providing expertise and advice on design and implementation, incorporating an equity lens into execution, and creating a community of partners across the US to share best practices and challenges in order to fortify efforts amidst the national response to COVID-19.
As a key member of the U.S. PHAU leadership team, the Deputy Director of Operations will work closely to manage operations and liaise across Finance, Legal, HR, and grant compliance. The Deputy Director will support the USPHAU leadership team in strategic decision-making as we work to deepen and expand our engagement with partner sites.
- Strategy and planning: Lead all of the USPHAU’s national operations and help build site operations as we expand; collaborate with the leadership team on the USPHAU’s growth strategy and plans
- External relations: As a senior member of the USPHAU team, represent the work and impact to external partners in a variety of meetings and forums
- Finance: Managing the annual budgeting process; monthly reports; cash flow management and analysis; and cost modeling
- Fundraising: Participate in a culture of active, cross-team fundraising; develop and maintain systems to track prospects, targets and progress
- Goal-setting: Help set yearly goals for the USPHAU and support the site teams to build workplans that will help meet these targets; evaluate performance by analyzing and interpreting data and metrics
- Legal, contracts and compliance: Work with the general counsel and PIH legal team to develop and maintain strong partnership frameworks and MOUs for partner sites, national partners and other consortia work
- Talent: Supervise all recruitment, continuous professional development and retention programs for all PHAU staff; work with the Human Resources Manager to provide financial and operational input on HR policies and staffing plans
- Team culture: Establish policies that promote a strong company culture and vision
- Bachelor’s Degree in business administration or related field; advanced degree in public health or business administration preferred
- 8-10+ years in related operations or administration Senior Management positions; public sector experience preferred
- Outstanding leadership and organizational abilities; excellent relationship-building with internal and external stakeholders of diverse backgrounds, skillsets and geographies
- Deep understanding of business functions in nonprofits including finance and reporting, grant compliance and budget management
- Ability to work flexibly and resourcefully; capable of managing change in a fast-paced, start-up-like environment
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning and business development
- Familiarity with public administration compliance
- Commitment to social justice
Partners In Health (PIH) is an international health organization relentlessly committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with local governments to build local capacity and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality health care, address the root causes of illness, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global policy change.
PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Kazakhstan, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Sierra Leone and Navajo Nation. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of other countries around the world.
Partners In Health (PIH) is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of PIH not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. PIH works in and with a number of governments in and outside the U.S., and to the extent applicable, this statement is intended to incorporate the prohibition of any unlawful discrimination covered by applicable laws in such countries, states and municipalities.