Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
This is a special fixed-term appointment for a period of three (3) years following Section 3.1 (c.) of Administrative Order No. 2.01 (“Recruitment and Appointment’). This appointment is not convertible to a regular appointment. It may be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period at the option of ADB. This appointment is open to internal and external applicants.
If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the term.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Pacific Country Office (PCO) in Tonga within the Pacific Department (PARD). PCOs support PARD in managing its relationships with clients; in planning, processing, and implementing ADB’s projects and programs; and in building capacities and sharing knowledge in Tonga.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Operations Assistant provides support for maintaining client relationships, for delivering assistance operations, and for office administration in the PCO. The incumbent will (i) support the management of relations with external and internal clients, and consultations with external partners and relevant ADB departments, (ii) assist on financial, budgetary, and administrative functions of the PCO, and (iii) provide assistance to teams and missions involved in ADB’s assistance programs, particularly on project processing and administration. The Senior Operations Assistant reports to the designated International Staff and senior National Staff.
• Liaises closely with Executing Agencies and other relevant government offices to facilitate mission clearances and other development partner coordination activities.
• Provides logistical support to ADB missions and project consultant visits.
• Provides support on the financial, budgetary, and administrative functions of the PCO and responds to requests from ADB regional offices or ADB headquarters on these matters.
• Assists in programming, processing and implementation of various ADB assistance.
• Assists in portfolio management including undertaking data collection on portfolio in various sectors, and preparation of background papers for Country Portfolio Review Mission
• Monitors and reports on ADB’s operations.
• Prepares and submit reports on the status and activities of the PCO.
• Organizes and maintains office files, records and documents related to administration of the PCO and ADB assistance; maintains computer-based information system for project administration matters.
• Provides support to project implementation teams in administration of loan/TA projects; assists in monitoring physical progress in projects/TA implementation, procurement/contract awards and withdrawal application processing; follows up submission of project reports, financial statements, etc.
• Interacts with Executing Agencies, development partners, consultants and ADB staff to keep abreast of project/program issues and development concerns.
• Performs other duties that may be assigned as reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Bachelor’s Degree in economics, finance, engineering or related fields. Alternatively, diploma in related fields or secondary education combined with additional relevant experience can be considered.
• At least 5 years of professional experience in the public sector or in organizations that interact regularly with local or national government
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for AS5
The selected candidate is appointed for a special fixed term appointment of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
This vacancy is a local staff position with local remuneration package. It is open only to national and residents of Tonga.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.