The International Rescue Committee helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities that support them, as well as with those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
To achieve our mission, the IRC operates in crisis-affected areas, which are by nature high risk environments. In order to recognize, manage, and mitigate these risks, the IRC must ensure that processes, policies, and supporting infrastructure are sufficiently robust. This role will be responsible for developing the risk framework and processes necessary to meet the IRC’s strategic and organizational objectives.
This role is responsible for facilitating and maintaining enterprise risk management across the IRC. This is a challenging position which requires a knowledge of the contexts in which we work, ability to apply risk frameworks and standards, experience with planning and implementation, excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to work well in a distributed, multicultural environment.
- Drive and maintain the IRC’s enterprise risk management approach across the organization
- Build the risk management processes, tools and templates required, including facilitating the identification, assessment and reporting of risks across the IRC’s departments and regions
- Develop and maintain the risk monitoring and reporting structures, including reporting dashboards, templates and supporting documentation
- Provide subject matter expertise and support to senior leaders and business managers to execute their risk management responsibilities
- Produce risk reports working with contributors of the reports and supporting the analysis of significant risks and mitigation approaches
- Ensure that risk reporting aligns with organizational performance and strategy reporting, which supports decision making and management oversight at the most senior levels of the organization
- Enhance risk management awareness and capabilities across the organization
- Work closely with the Internal Audit and the Safety and Security teams to ensure a holistic enterprise risk management approach
- Support senior leaders to drive a risk culture across the organization and ensure the effective operation of enterprise risk management
- Identify and analyze sector trends to continuously improve the IRC’s risk management approach, including identify gaps in processes and capabilities
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent required with preferred areas of study in Security, Conflict, Risk, International Development, or Business
- At least 6 years of relevant risk management experience in INGO or humanitarian aid field contexts with an understanding of safety and security issues in conflict and post-conflict environments
- Experience in overseeing, supporting and/or establishing an ongoing ERM process
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating processes and decisions with cross-functional, senior stakeholders
- Strong project management skills
- Previous experience working in an NGO, non-profit or in the humanitarian sector
- Understanding of the challenges related to implementing organizational changes
- Strong analytical skills, problem-solving skills, and ability to anticipate barriers and opportunities
- Capability to manage multiple demands and to adapt to new challenges and shifting priorities
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- High level of proficiency with MS Office, documents management solutions and reporting tools
Preferred Additional Requirements
- Master’s degree in Security, Conflict, Risk, International Development, or Business
- Risk management consulting experience
- Strong understanding of risk management standards and frameworks (e.g. ISO 31000, COSO framework) and their applications
- Risk Management certification
- Knowledge of French or Arabic an advantage
- Standard office work environment
- Some travel as needed
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.