Senior Officer, DRR
For over 90 years, Save the Children has been making a difference in children’s lives in more than 120 countries. We are the world’s largest independent child rights organisation, underpinned by a vision of a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. Our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
Save the Children is an organization for talented people with different backgrounds and perspectives. We are proud that our people are representative of the children we work with and we thrive on our diversity.
In Uganda, we implement programmes in five thematic programme areas of Child Protection, Child Rights Governance, Education, Child Poverty, Health and Nutrition in Development and Emergency contexts. Save the Children delivers programs in over 36 districts in the North, Rwenzori, North-Eastern and Central regions of Uganda, Currently, Save the Children has a staff complement of over 300 persons.
Provide ongoing capacity support to staff, partners on integration of resilience building into programmes, plan, implement and coordination of project activities. Ensure programme quality delivery, Monitoring & evaluation, documentation and reporting on Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation initiatives. The job holder may be called upon as and when necessary to support the emergency team in cases of humanitarian crisis.
Contract Duration: Open ended
Contractual Status: National posting
Child Safeguarding: Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post will require the post holder to have regular contact with young youth or access to children
Qualification and Experience Essential;
- A minimum of a Bachelors’ Degree in any relevant field or the equivalent accrued working experience in a related field and position.
- At least 3 years’ progressive experience in programme development and management with INGOs. Relevant experience supervising DRR/ CCA interventions, community based social development projects with International NGOs particularly those addressing children’s rights and those applying partnership approach is desirable.
- Experience of working with local partners and District Local Government on DRM, Natural Resource Management, Agriculture, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Education, or Child Protection program delivery.
- Ability to speak local language and directly interact with target group will be an added advantage.
- Strong analytical skills and strategic planning abilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
- Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must.
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Excellent time management and planning capacity.
- Commitment to Save the Children values