Internews is seeking a Senior Media Advisor for a potential USAID-funded media support project in Tunisia. The Senior Media Advisor provides technical expertise on reporting on capacity building in democratic and economic governance and electoral issues. The Senior Media Advisor is responsible for assessing, designing and planning media assistance after discussions and coordination with traditional and online media, respective institutions, Tunisian journalists and civil society. The Media Advisor will report to the Regional Director the Middle East and North Africa at Internews.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide support to the Regional Director and local media team.
- Provide technical expertise on design of relevant trainings, mentoring programs, and/or consultations to local media outlets to produce engaging, quality reporting that holds government to account.
- Assess the current media landscape, viewership, trends and needs of target audience to create a baseline and design assistance.
- Support regular progress reporting and the collection and analysis of monitoring and evaluation data on results and impact of program support.
- Engage with social media platforms on disinformation and fact checking
- Nurture relationships with media outlets, research institutions, media literacy initiatives, and media support organizations in the region.
- Technical support, guidance and mentoring to media partners on topics related to reporting on democratic and economic governance and electoral issues
- Ensure all projects’ deliverables are completed according to agreed timeline and budgets.
- Managing risk and security during the implementation of the project, including the development of contingency plans.
- Support the Regional Director in ensuring the projects comply with all administrative requirements, donors’ regulations (including branding and marketing), laws including local laws and requirements for local staff.
- Ensuring timely reporting of activities and effective collaboration with relevant Internews staff.
- Support strategic communication efforts of Internews in coordination with the Regional Director to promote and publicize Internews activities.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Ability to work and reside in Tunis
- Proven experience managing donor-funded media projects in transition countries.
- Demonstrated news management experience
- Experience in journalism training, particularly political, investigative and election reporting
- Experience training and mentoring journalists or journalism students, as well as developing training curriculum
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and report on media trends
- Fluency in English is required.
- Proficiency in French and/or Arabic is preferred.
- Strong critical thinking and writing skills; excellent communication skills
- Thorough understanding of the technical, political and social, issues specific to Tunisia
- Proven interpersonal and networking skills with international organizations and donors
- Team-building skills and the ability to manage a diverse staff.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.