- Refining and maintaining a dynamic monitoring, evaluation, and learning system for the initiative;
- Designing fit-for-purpose independent evaluations to assess, among other things, the impact and/or influence of particular interventions;
- Collecting timely feedback, especially from customers/end-users; and
- Facilitating learning and knowledge sharing, internally with the initiative team, across the various geographies, and externally with the field.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the creation and maintenance of a dynamic monitoring, evaluation, and learning system for the initiative by putting in place the frameworks, processes, tools and systems to collect, manage, and make sense of information, and to track progress throughout the initiative’s lifecycle. Duties may include developing/refining the initiative’s theory of change, learning questions, and evidence agenda; refining/expanding its measurement system; and setting up a user-friendly M&E information management system.
- Design approaches for fit-for-purpose independent evaluations to assess, among other things, the influence or impact of the programmatic work/strategic levers. This will include designing an impact evaluation plan (including designing/conducting a baseline study for key outcome variables in select geographies; and developing approaches for a developmental evaluation and rapid assessments.
- Support the collection of timely customer/end-user feedback. This will include applying tech-enabled approaches to collect and analyze timely data and gather intelligence from key stakeholders; and establishing feedback loops to facilitate internal and external strategic learning and knowledge sharing.
- Facilitate strategic learning and knowledge sharing internally and externally through analyses and sense-making around data and evidence; the enabling of team cross-learning, and the capturing and sharing of lessons learned and evidence for maximum impact.
- Masters’ degree in a relevant field with more than 10 years of experience applying a range of M&E approaches, designing and implementing agendas, and testing hypotheses, including leading a team.
- Experience using mixed-methods and right-sized approaches in response to learning or evaluation questions.
- Experience with data analytics and tech for development. Comfort conducting technology-enabled data collection and analyses, particularly in developing country contexts.
- Track record conducting assignments in the energy sector preferred, especially stand-alone mini grid projects, progressive utility partnerships, and mini grid financing vehicles.
- Experience designing and leading MEL for large-scale, pan-regional, multi-partner initiatives to enhance strategic learning and programmatic impact.
- Prior experience working in emerging markets in the global south with particular focus on outcomes for women, girls, and other vulnerable or marginalized groups.
- Ability to engage stakeholders at all levels – from rural customers to government officials. Willingness to collaborate with specialists or subcontractors as needed.
- Ability to meet deadlines, stay on budget, and communicate effectively with stakeholders.