Senior M&E Specialist, Mali Performance M&E
Platform, Bamako, Mali
In July 2015, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) awarded a five-year contract to MSI to provide performance management support to sponsored development programs throughout Mali. The Platform serves as a centralized management support mechanism. The goal of the project is to support USAID/Mali’s information needs, facilitate program management decisions and shape long-term strategic direction and decision-making. The Platform has three components: 1) performance monitoring and data verification; 2) evaluation; and 3) research.
The Senior Advisor will provide technical leadership in the area of monitoring and evaluation. S/he will be responsible for leading, managing and/or supervising technical work related to performance management, third party monitoring, evaluations, assessments and research. The Senior M&E Advisor will work with a team of long-term Malian staff, MSI home office staff and external consultants to deliver high quality products that meet the demands of USAID/Mali. The Senior Advisor will report to the Chief of Party. It is a full-time position based in Bamako.
Support M&E Capacity Building Efforts for USAID/Mali and Implementing Partner (IP) staff, including:
- Provide technical assistance, mentoring and coaching to USAID/Mali staff in the areas of results-based management, performance monitoring, data collection and analysis, writing SOWs, evaluation methodologies, data quality assessments, and reporting.
- With the assistance of Platform and MSI home office staff, lead the development and implementation of a training curriculum on various topics to support Mission management of performance data.
- Provide guidance and support to the Program Office and Mission staff to refine their performance management plan, results framework and indicators.
- Support the development of data collection instruments, data collation tools, guides and checklists to support USAID M&E management needs.
- Provide technical support and training, as requested by USAID/Mali, for implementing partners and other key stakeholders.
- Facilitate learning sessions and after-action reviews.
Provide technical support and quality assurance for performance monitoring activities
- Work with USAID/Mali and Platform staff to clarify performance monitoring needs.
- Assist with data collection and reporting efforts as needed. Supervise Platform staff and external to ensure high quality assistance and reporting.
- Provide advice on and/or help operationalize Mission indicators and reporting systems.
- Provide support to USAID and Platform staff in the design and execution of data quality assessments.
- Review technical deliverables, including reports, briefs, and presentations.
Provide technical support and quality assurance for third party monitoring, evaluation, assessments and research-related activities, including:
- Work with USAID/Mali and Platform staff to develop an overall approach and design activities.
- Develop assignment work plans based on statements of work received from USAID for evaluations, assessments and other research activities.
- Develop or review data collection instruments, data collection plans and data analysis plans.
- Design and operationalize research methodologies and tools including evaluation and assessment data analysis plans; data collection instruments and data collection plans;
- Conduct data analysis.
- Serve as lead writer or as a technical reviewer of deliverables, including data analysis plans, data collection instruments, reports, presentations, summaries and briefs.
Assemble teams, including:
- Work with senior management to identify internal and external staffing needs.
- Write consultant statements of work (SOWs).
- Write or contribute to the writing SOWs for RFPs and/or subcontractors to undertake data collection.
- Facilitate team planning workshops prior to the commencement of field work.
Management of staff and evaluation and assessment teams, including:
- Provide guidance to technical staff to help manage and provide quality assurance.
- Manage evaluation/assessment unit work flow in consultation with the Chief of Party (COP) to ensure smooth workflow processes and that assignments are properly managed and meeting the Platform’s requirements.
- Work with staff to manage subcontractors to ensure the timely collection of high quality quantitative and qualitative data.
- Engage with USAID/Mali’s technical offices regarding current and future assignments
- Lead interim and final debriefing sessions, including the production of supporting materials such as hand-outs and power-point presentations.
- Work with Platform staff and external teams to maintain a regular flow of communication throughout the assignment.
- Interact frequently with sector experts and other donors and implementing partners working in areas related to the Platform’s assignments.
- Participate in activities to ensure research data and information contributes to USAID/Mali’s learning and adaptive processes.
- Travel outside Bamako, as required.
- Carry out additional responsibilities as assigned by the COP
The Senior M&E Advisor should have the following minimum qualifications:
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. in economics, statistics, social science international development, public policy or other relevant field.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in the field of M&E for development projects.
- Minimum of five (5) years working with bi-lateral or multi-lateral donors.
- Demonstrated experience with the development of results frameworks, logic models and/or logical frameworks.
- Experience with training in M&E, coaching and/or mentoring.
- Hands-on experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis tools.
- Demonstrated evaluation and/or research design experience.
- In-depth knowledge of USAID monitoring and evaluation policy.
- Supervisory experience with staff and/or teams of consultants.
- Facilitation experience.
- Excellent analytic and communication skills
- Fluency in French and English (writing, speaking and reading)
- Experience working in complex environments