With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across five programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Senior Manager, Energy Communications, will drive an integrated advocacy campaign focused on supporting transformational public policy and operational business changes within the oil and gas industry to rapidly reduce methane emissions. They will collaborate closely with a diverse set of internal clients within EDF and our MethaneSAT subsidiary, along with key external partners to develop and execute multi-channel communication strategies that help EDF advance its strategic priorities and goals for methane emissions reduction.
Reporting to the Senior Communications Director, Special Projects and Emerging Issues, this critical position will manage an international outreach effort using paid, owned, earned and digital media channels as well as leading-edge tools and tactics to engage target stakeholders in the Oil/Gas sector, Investment, Environmental, Public Policy and Science communities. The Senior Manager will be responsible for guiding campaign strategy, developing compelling content, ensuring message discipline, managing outside PR firms and other vendors, and providing strong analytical reporting of results.
- Collaborate effectively with MethaneSAT and EDF Energy program leadership and marketing and communications colleagues to understand and drive advocacy and engagement objectives; play a key role in the development of integrated campaigns promoting brand-level understanding of both EDF and MethaneSAT.
- Working with internal and external resources, translate deep understanding of target audiences, their motivations, and their media consumption into actionable engagement strategies; track, analyze, and report on strategy effectiveness.
- Develop and execute on strategic plans for the overall PR and social media functions focused on reducing methane emissions from the oil and gas industry.
- Inspire and motivate a team of communications professionals to be on the leading edge of earned and digital media strategy; oversee effective program execution and project workflow across multiple teams.
- Manage outside PR firm and their deliverables, adhering to timelines, budgets and approvals to ensure delivery of on-brand, on-message publicity and quality results.
- Provide high-level media relations counsel and social media strategy on a full range of opportunities including project milestones, external industry and advocacy events, major conferences, etc.
- Develop and foster relationships with top-tier journalists and influencers.
- Direct press release and press statement strategy for MethaneSAT; oversee development of collateral materials and collaborate with brand and program social media teams to ensure message pull-through across all EDF media channels.
- Ensure that messaging is truly global in scope, communicating across race, class and geographic boundaries.
- Support senior executives in high profile media opportunities including messaging, briefings and media training.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- At least eight years of related experience in corporate or advocacy communications, public affairs, external/public relations and/or marketing. Blend of agency and in-house experience and work with B2B science, technology or energy clients preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required.
- Exceptional writing skills and journalistic instincts in distilling strategic message into compelling narratives.
- Grounding in two or more of the following verticals desired: oil and gas industry; finance and investment; science and technology; government and policymaking (U.S. and other) and climate advocacy.
- Experience in issue advocacy or political campaign setting and corresponding record of delivering superior campaign or advocacy communications results.
- Proven capability to develop audience-centric marketing and communications strategy with measurable results.
- Demonstrated poise, diplomacy, and ability to foster cross-company relationships within matrixed organizations and across levels while maintaining end-to-end focus when developing and executing communications strategies and deliverables.
- Strong organizational, project, and people management skills; ability to analyze metrics and present information effectively to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Clear understanding of the rapidly evolving media landscape and opportunities to leverage both digital and traditional channels; interest in developing new approaches to communications/public relations.
- Capable of working on simultaneous projects and prioritizing in a fast-paced environment without compromising quality or attention to detail; ability to be flexible and pivot.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Ability to travel (when business travel resumes) with peak travel 30% or more.
- Strong preference for candidates fluent one or more languages in addition to English.
Energy Program Overview
The goal of the EDF Energy Program is to bend the curve on greenhouse gas emissions from oil and gas production and use by 2030, while meeting the world’s energy needs cleanly and equitably. We are achieving this through a defined set of objectives targeted at 1) reducing emissions from oil and gas production, delivery and use, and 2) reducing demand for oil and gas in power generation, transportation, buildings and industry. To achieve our goal, we seek reforms in law, regulation, and/or business practice through a set of strategic corporate partnerships, direct engagement with policymakers and mobilizing investor and public sentiment in favor of change. In achieving our objectives, we facilitate cutting-edge science, technical innovation, and rigorous economic and financial analysis to develop durable solutions.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.