Senior Learning and Communications Advisor
Based in Washington DC or remote (US)
Up to 15% international travel)
Reports to Senior Program Manager, MOMENTUM Private Healthcare Delivery (MPHD) project
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 5,000 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 40 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using it’s global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
MOMENTUM Private Healthcare Delivery (MPHD) is a five-year, $75m cooperative agreement between USAID’s Office of Population and Reproductive Health and Office of Maternal and Child Health and Nutrition and a PSI-led consortium of partners. MPHD is led by PSI and includes consortium partners Jhpiego, FHI 360, Avenir Health, and ThinkWell. MPHD, and the wider MOMENTUM suite of awards, works to accelerate country leadership in reducing maternal and child morbidity and mortality through expanding access, coverage, and quality of maternal, newborn, and child health, voluntary family planning, and reproductive health (MNCH/FP/RH) services. More information about the MOMENTUM suite of awards can be found here.
The Senior Learning and Communications Advisor will lead in developing and implementing MPHD’s knowledge management (KM) and learning strategy and communicating KM/learning and other technically focused results to external audiences, including USAID. This will include translating the project’s learning and communications agenda into a concrete implementation plan and delivering on the plan. With a focus on strategy development, knowledge capture and dissemination, the Senior Learning and Communications Advisor will identify priorities, develop and improve KM systems and facilitate production and distribution of insights and evidence to senior-level stakeholders. The Senior Advisor will partner closely with monitoring, evaluation, and learning and strategic communications functions to enhance the capacity of project staff to elevate MPHD’s technical approaches and learnings to internal and external audiences and to telling the one MOMENTUM story, including working closely with the MOMENTUM Knowledge Accelerator (MKA) project.
- In collaboration with project leadership and USAID MOMENTUM stakeholders, develop and refine the project’s KM/ learning strategy
- Advance the project’s learning agenda and the goal of telling the MOMENTUM story, articulate and champion MPHD’s strategy and priorities for knowledge management and communications. This will be done through:
- Develops plan to capture knowledge from learning agenda, analyze and disseminate this knowledge. This may include refining/adapting the learning agenda during the lifetime of the project. Sources of information can be derived from annual workplan, monitoring and evaluation framework, and country-level activities.
- Identifies and pursues opportunities for linking the project’s learning to activities of other relevant organizations, donors, private sector groups, national governments and other actors working in the MNCH/FP/RH space
- Partners with PSI’s research and evidence technical leads and External Relations and Communications team to identify areas of synergy and complementarity in learning, adaptive management, strategic evidence generation, and dissemination
Project management and execution
- Works closely with the MPHD team and other business units at global and country level to coordinate documentation and dissemination of project-related outcomes, processes, approaches, and innovations that are part of the Knowledge Management, Communications and Learning Agenda priorities
- Writes, edits, and reviews specific communications and knowledge management materials including but not limited to technical articles and conference presentations, publications, peer-reviewed journal articles, and related research and/or programmatic analyses produced by technical staff at PSI and partners
- Provides oversight on the overall strategic scheduling, flow, and content of knowledge management and communications products and events
- Develops, leads, and delivers high-quality, participatory knowledge/learning exchange events (e.g. webinars, online trainings, symposia, and other events) to communities of practice, MKA, and other external audiences and stakeholders.
Collaboration with MOMENTUM Knowledge Accelerator
- Liaises with MOMENTUM Knowledge Accelerator award through KM Working Group and Strategic Communications (SC) Working Group meetings, actively participates and shares out key information across MPHD team
- Leads on collaborative KM activities and events with MKA and other MOMENTUM awards
- Works with project and country teams to identify knowledge management needs that specifically support the MOMENTUM Learning Agenda & project results
- Supports the development, as appropriate, of tools, processes, and skills to enhance capacity for ongoing knowledge management and communications that specifically support the MOMENTUM Learning Agenda & project results
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt
Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin
S/he will have the following qualifications, skills, and experience:
- Master’s Degree or higher in knowledge management, public health, communications, social sciences or related field
- A minimum of 10 years progressively responsible experience, including in roles with substantial responsibilities in learning/knowledge management, documentation and dissemination of health program information and capacity building for knowledge management.
- Knowledge and ability to develop learning plans, tools, and processes at a project, country, and organizational level
- Advanced skill in facilitation, including proven ability to facilitate group decision-making, problem-solving, and complex learning
- Exceptional written and oral communications geared to a variety of technical and non-technical audiences, and proven ability to make presentations on results to small and large groups
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate working relationships across business units and internal and external stakeholders and to influence others towards shared outcomes
- Knowledge of MNCH/FP/RH health principles, practices, and services in low- to middle-income countries
- Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, to thrive in a matrixed organization, to be detailed-oriented, and to manage stress effectively and with humor in a fast-paced environment
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Teams, and SharePoint.
- English proficiency required; French a plus
- Must be authorized to work in USA. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
What would get us excited?
- A strategist and an innovator. You are a creative, innovative, and strategic thinker. You have a strong interest in FP/RH/MNCH service delivery and a proven ability to produce results.
- USAID experience. You have knowledge and experience working with USAID and large, donor-funded flagship projects.
- Multi-tasker and proactive individual. You can work with large, multinational, and intercultural teams, other implementing partners, and donors. A do-er who can get their bearings quickly.
- High EQ and collaborative orientation. You exhibit great emotional intelligence and commitment to bringing out the best in your colleagues and their contributions to the project.
- Communications savvy. You are fluent in technical writing and have a high comfort level working hand-in-hand with strategic communications.
Cover letter, resume and links to/attach 2-3 writing samples you can demonstrate authorship of required.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202)785-0072.