The global development community is at an auspicious turning point in history. Thanks to the success of the past few decades and favorable economic growth, developing countries now have an unprecedented opportunity to end extreme poverty within a generation. This is the vision of the WBG: to eradicate extreme poverty by reducing the number of people living on less than $1.25 a day to 3 percent by 2030, and promote shared prosperity by fostering the income growth of the bottom 40 percent in every country.
To achieve this vision, the WBG Board of Governors has approved a strategy for the organization. This strategy leverages, for the first time, the combined strength of the WBG institutions and their unique ability to partner with the public and private sectors to deliver customized development solutions backed by finance, world class knowledge and convening services. The strategy has three components: (1) maximizing development impact by engaging country clients in identifying and tackling the most difficult development challenges; (2) promoting scaled-up partnerships that are strategically aligned with the goals; and (3) crowding in public and private resources, expertise and ideas.
The architecture underpinning the strategy and instrumental to its success is the establishment of fourteen Global Practices and five Cross-Cutting Solution Areas that, in concert with the WBG Regions, will design solutions that address clients’ most pressing developmental challenges, and ultimately, enable the WBG to meet its twin goals of eliminating extreme poverty and boosting shared prosperity
Organizational & Unit Context
The Global Delivery Initiative is part of the Global Operations Knowledge Management Unit (GOKMU), which is a cross-cutting area within the World Bank, working across 14 global practices, 5 cross-cutting solution areas, corporate functions and 6 Regions. GOKMU takes the lead in ensuring operational knowledge is flowing between country management units, global practices and CCSA’s in support of the bank’s development agenda. As a newly formed unit within the Operations group, GOKMU is at the early stages of building its program of services and offerings. The GDI Program Leader will apply strategic analysis, synthesizing skills, and business judgment to help define priorities, take on operational challenges, and foster innovation and growth amongst the GDI but is also expected to collaborate with other GOKMU business units. The Program Leader will report to the Manager of the unit.
Global Delivery Initiative
The Global Delivery Initiative (GDI) is a collaborative effort to create a collective and cumulative evidence base of delivery know-how to inform development practice and improve implementation. The GDI and its partners support practitioners on the ground to adapt to dynamic contexts and solve stubborn delivery challenges. The GDI helps practitioners prepare for and address delivery challenges and unexpected problems throughout implementation. The Global Delivery Initiative was launched at the 2015 Spring Meetings of the World Bank and has over 30 partners, it is currently Co-chaired by the World Bank and GIZ.
***The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of race, gender, nationality, culture, and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 4 year term appointment.
With a view to ensuring integration of global knowledge and expertise into operations, the Senior Knowledge Management Specialist will work in close collaboration with GPs, Global Leads for the Global Solutions Groups, as well as other World Bank Units. The selected candidate will also be responsible for the overall strategic orientation of the GDI and will ensure synergies across the World Bank Group and GDI partners. Together with the Manager, Strategy and Operations, s/he will ensure linkages between knowledge generation for the GDI and its use in operations. The selected candidate will work closely with external partners to deliver the GDI work program and enhance the partnership.
The Senior Knowledge Management Specialist will be responsible for the following areas:
Business Management (incl. strategic planning, operations and client relationship management):
• Delivers on the GDI work program, in addition to managing its budget;
• Works with the individual GDI team members to develop goals, design strategies and organize resources to advance those goals;
• Provides oversight on the GDI portfolio and is able to develop new and innovative solutions for partners in the area of delivery know-how;
• Works closely with the Manager, Strategy & Operations to set the leadership agenda and staff engagement activities.
People/ Talent Management responsibilities:
• Demonstrates excellence in organizational management with the ability to, develop high-performing teams, develop and implement program strategies and coach junior staff;
• Builds, develops, and leads the team of GDI professionals;
Resource Management responsibilities:
• Manages and oversees the rationale for and engagement of external consultants across the GDI. Ensure effective formulation of the GDI’s budget proposal, provides inputs into budget decisions and manages the GDI’s financial resources including donor funds;
• Manages the day-to-day GDI approvals, budget and work program, both operational and projects, tracking major deadlines and interim milestones.
• Be a collaborative leader on the GOKMU management team driving development impact and operational quality;
• Facilitate the advancement of communities of practice across the organization – focusing on the rationalization, objectives and “health” of the community;
• Understand and be able to articulate the role of KM in supporting and amplifying the Bank’s role as a global leader in the creation of development knowledge and analytics;
Relationship Management responsibilities (Internal and External):
• Develops and maintains excellent working relationships with key stakeholders and partners across the Bank, including GPs, CCSAs, Regions, OPCS, ITS and others;
• Undertakes awareness-building with internal stakeholders to ensure a good understanding of the GDI program, and ensures it is mainstreamed across the World Bank Group;
• Promotes effective donor coordination and relations with other development, data, learning and KM partners and stakeholders;
• Manages good relations, collaborating and coordinating with bilateral agencies, regional and other multilateral agencies—to strengthen collaboration and develop synergies around Knowledge Management;
• Identifies new partnerships to enhance the work of the GDI and is able to strengthen existing collaboration;
• Represents the GDI at internal Bank functions and meetings; externally promotes the GDI’s approach to delivery know-how.
• Proven track record (5-8 years) of direct work in operations and client relations.
• Strong technical skills. Proven ability to bring together clients inside and outside the Bank Group by supporting and drawing on a multi-sectoral perspective, analytical work and global knowledge.
• A track record of country based policy dialogue and operational engagements, ideally work experience in multiple regions.
• Demonstrated experience leading multi-donor agendas.
• A track record of working on knowledge management, ideally across sectors and regions.
• Demonstrated in-depth experience working across sectors and disciplinary boundaries, and with multiple stakeholders – public, private and civil society – in building collaborative alliances for results.
• Proven partnership building and donor relations skills, with an ability to work with a range of organizations from the development community, academia, research institutes and civil society.
• Strong people management and resource management skills, with proven experience in working in situations of both formal and non-formal reporting authority.
• Exceptional oral communication and writing skills in English. Additional language skills are desired.
• Strong strategic orientation in order to link developmental impact with managing bank-wide knowledge assets.
• Prior work experience in MDBs, public sector, NGO’s, or international development is desirable;
• Demonstrated success as trusted, strategic advisor, partnering with clients to deliver results.
• Makes timely decisions that have a broad impact.
• Ability to inspire and motivate others, demonstrated ability to gain consensus and collaboration;
• Strong background in managing culture change and creating an incentive-based environment;
• Demonstrated success in supporting and inspiring a positive, energetic culture of innovation;
• Enthusiastic, self-motivated team player with a strong interest in learning, creating efficient processes and a seamless user experience.
Communities of Practice
Leads in defining the strategic context for the communities in which they participate, ensuring the community is demand driven and fits with the strategy and business objectives of the department and Bank Group
Drives the development of the community mission, purpose, goals, norms and values
Establishes and promotes community governance and rules of engagement, including those regarding trust, respect, and a candid exchange of ideas
Leads efforts to market the role, activity, and content of the community with peers across the Bank Group
Manages a small team to deliver the required work program; acts as an advisor within the organization for establishing and managing communities of practice; coordinates satisfactory resolution of issues with senior management and oversight units
Systematic Content Management
Leads the development, implementation, and maintenance of the department’s content management framework: (i) assess available content, gaps, and demand for new content; (ii) define and design content management framework and infrastructure, prioritization of content, governance model, system specifications, taxonomies, metadata and tagging, and editorial process; (iii) implement the production and dissemination plan; (iv) optimize content performance; and (v) report on usage and uptake
Ensures the department’s content management efforts are aligned with the Bank Group’s approaches to systematic content management
Reports to management on dissemination and uptake of knowledge product types
Scans the external environment for latest techniques for successful content management, evaluates such techniques, applies them as appropriate across the department, and influences colleagues in the Bank Group to do the same
Manages a small team to deliver the required work program; acts as a consultant and advisor within the organization for content management; coordinates satisfactory resolution of issues with senior management and oversight units
Ensures that the department’s knowledge exchange activities are prioritized appropriately and reflect the department’s strategy and business objectives
Seeks opportunities to co-develop and co-deliver knowledge exchange activities jointly with internal and /or external clients or stakeholders
Initiates and leads efforts to strengthen knowledge flow among and across regions, project teams, Bank Group organizations, and external stakeholders
Facilitates successful knowledge exchange activities among internal and/or external clients and stakeholders
Manages a small team to deliver the required work program; acts as an advisor within the organization for knowledge exchange; coordinates satisfactory resolution of issues with senior management and oversight units
Research and Analysis to Support KM Activities
Establishes framework for—scope, governance, resources—for the research and analysis function within the department
Initiates and oversees complex research projects on behalf of the department, including analyzing trends related to lessons learned from internal and external sources
Ensures that the department’s research and analysis activities are prioritized appropriately reflecting the department’s strategy and business objectives
Ensures that, when appropriate, department leadership takes action on the analysis (i.e., endorses a modification to a project, procedure, or process to address issues raised in the analysis)
Ensures the quality of all research and analysis done by the department
Translates analysis into practical action to inform decision making by department leadership
Manages a small team to deliver the required work program; acts as an advisor within the organization for research and analysis on KM activities; coordinates satisfactory resolution of issues with senior management and oversight units
Lead and Innovate
Encourages and works with others to identify, incubate, and implement relevant solutions
Identifies opportunities in changing circumstances and energizes others to continuously improve, using intentional strategies to boost morale, team spirit, and productivity in context of the Bank Group’s values and mission
Helps others to understand problems, client needs, and the underlying context
Deliver Results for Clients
Develops and implements solutions that show understanding of how clients and/or own work achieves results that are financially, environmentally, and socially sustainable
Shares new insights based on in-depth understanding of the client and recommends solutions for current and future needs of clients
Holds self and team accountable for risk management and outcomes
Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries
Collaborates across organizational boundaries, internally and externally with a sense of mutuality and respect
Consistently engages others in open dialogue, brings out any conflicting viewpoints and incorporates viewpoints into solutions, giving credit where credit is due
Leverages expertise of all team members to ensure successful outcomes
Makes choices and sets priorities with a Bank Group corporate perspective in mind
Create, Apply, and Share Knowledge
Ensures systematic sharing of best practices and learning from lessons from across the Bank Group, clients, and partners
Is known across the Bank Group in their subject area and is sought out by Bank Group colleagues to advise, peer review, or contribute to knowledge products of others
Seeks mentoring opportunities with more experienced staff to deepen or strengthen their professional knowledge and mentors junior staff
Builds networks across the Bank Group and as part of external professional groups/networks
Make Smart Decisions
Applies critical thinking and seeks inputs and experience from others to recommend a course of action consistent with the Bank Group’s strategy
Evaluates risk and anticipates the short and long-term implications of decisions
Commits to a decision and takes action once a decision has been reached