CIF’s Trust Fund Committee members have invited the CIF to increasingly fulfill its mandate as a learning laboratory for scaled-up climate finance. It recently approved an Evaluation and Learning Initiative to better capture evidence and lessons learned to inform CIF investments and those of other climate finance funds and practitioners. Going forward, CIF’s Knowledge Management work program will collaborate closely with the Evaluation and Learning Initiative to create an integrated Knowledge and Learning approach. Working together with M&E, Communications, Programs and thematic specialists within the CIF Administrative Unit (CIF AU), the Knowledge and Learning cluster will lead a more holistic and strategic approach to learning, with a view to making the CIF even more effective as a both a mechanism and a learning laboratory for deploying public finance to accelerate the flow of capital into climate-related activities.
The CIF’s success is premised on a solid partnership with national governments, citizen groups and communities, private sector sponsors, the CIF governing bodies, and the five multinational development banks that serve as co-financiers and implementing agencies of the CIF. The CIF Knowledge and Learning strategy has a strong commitment to demand-driven and user-centric learning that is relevant, participatory, and applied to decisions and strategies.
The Senior Knowledge Management Officer leads efforts to capture and disseminate lessons generated from the CIF’s experience in delivering scaled up climate finance, working collaboratively with colleagues from within the Administrative Unit, as well as with MDBs, recipient country focal points, and other stakeholders.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year term appointment.
• Deliver on the CIF mandate of learning by doing and sharing lessons with MDBs, recipient countries, donors and the wider development community through innovative knowledge activities and products, with an emphasis on South-South learning and knowledge exchange. This includes facilitating or enhancing the development of dynamic learning networks and products within the CIF community and externally, through in-person events, virtual communities, demand-driven knowledge products and other activities, and engaging or partnering with leading global knowledge networks.
• Work closely with the CIF Sr. Evaluation and Learning Specialist and Sr. M&E Specialist to deliver a joint work program capturing synergies between the knowledge management, evaluation and learning, and monitoring and reporting work streams through an integrated Knowledge and Learning approach.
• Develop or manage innovative approaches to learning in CIF pilot countries meetings, thematic learning events, virtual communities, and other activities to strengthen learning and sharing among CIF pilot countries. Solicit feedback from CIF AU program coordinators, pilot countries and MDBs on country learning priorities and design activities and follow-up actions accordingly.
• Lead the production and dissemination of impactful, demand-driven learning products capturing lessons at the thematic, portfolio and program levels, in coordination and collaboration with the overall Knowledge and Learning strategy. This involves working closely with the CIF AU team, MDBs, CIF pilot countries and other partners to identify knowledge and learning priorities and design and implement analytical work and activities which feeds into the wider Knowledge and Learning program of work. This includes studies/reports, workshops, case studies, knowledge notes, and e-learning, and may involve directly leading projects, overseeing the work of consultants, and managing review and publication processes, as well as providing support and input to activities led by CIF AU or MDB colleagues.
• Build and maintain relationships with other units within the World Bank, other MDBs and external partners to ensure that CIF lessons are reflected in other internal and external knowledge groups’ work. Represent the CIF at external events to share lessons emerging from CIF-funded activities.
• Lead or contribute to the preparation of strategy and policy documents, briefing papers, talking points, and other materials to support the Trust Fund Committees, CIF and GCC management, the mobilization of additional resources for the CIF, and the effective delivery of the CIF portfolio.
• Collaborate closely with CIF AU communications team on the dissemination and communication of CIF knowledge.
• Coordinate with other staff delivering the CIF knowledge and learning work program, including a knowledge and learning assistant, STCs, and other CIF AU program and administrative staff.
• Thorough knowledge of and practical experience in the design and implementation of various knowledge management and learning approaches, tools and methodologies in the context of climate change and development. Ability to plan and successfully implement a dynamic and comprehensive knowledge and learning program in support of defined objectives.
• Experience facilitating effective learning networks, communities of practice, online knowledge and learning platforms, in-person and virtual learning events, South-South exchanges, and similar activities.
• Experience working in and knowledge of the policies and procedures of the World Bank Group or other multilateral development bank policies and procedures strongly preferred.
• Strong conceptual and analytical skills with the ability to think strategically and rapidly analyze diverse information from multiple sources to draw conclusions and provide recommendations.
• Excellent oral and written communication and presentational skills. Spoken and written fluency required in English. Fluency in French or Spanish a plus.
• Strong interpersonal and influencing skills including ability to promote strong collaboration and facilitate and achieve consensus with MDB and other partners, clients, and colleagues in a multicultural environment.
• Proven experience in working as both a leader and a member of team.
• Task/program management skills, including ability to supervise consultants and more junior staff.
Knowledge Exchange: Ensures that the unit’s knowledge exchange activities are prioritized appropriately and reflect the department’s strategy and business objectives. Seeks opportunities to co-develop and co-deliver knowledge exchange activities jointly with internal and /or external clients or stakeholders. Initiates and leads efforts to strengthen knowledge flow among and across regions, project teams, Bank Group organizations, and external stakeholders. Facilitates successful knowledge exchange activities among internal and/or external clients and stakeholders. Manages a small team to deliver the required work program; acts as an advisor within the organization for knowledge exchange; coordinates satisfactory resolution of issues with senior management and oversight units
Research and Analysis to Support KM Activities: Establishes framework for—scope, governance, resources—for the research and analysis function within the department. Initiates and oversees complex research projects on behalf of the department, including analyzing trends related to lessons learned from internal and external sources. Ensures that the department’s research and analysis activities are prioritized appropriately reflecting the department’s strategy and business objectives. Ensures that, when appropriate, department leadership takes action on the analysis (i.e., endorses a modification to a project, procedure, or process to address issues raised in the analysis). Ensures the quality of all research and analysis done by the department. Translates analysis into practical action to inform decision making by department leadership
Lead and Innovate: Encourages and works with others to identify, incubate, and implement relevant solutions. Identifies opportunities in changing circumstances and energizes others to continuously improve, using intentional strategies to boost morale, team spirit, and productivity in context of the Bank Group’s values and mission. Helps others to understand problems, client needs, and the underlying context
Collaborate within Teams and Across Boundaries: Collaborates across organizational boundaries, internally and externally with a sense of mutuality and respect. Consistently engages others in open dialogue, brings out any conflicting viewpoints and incorporates viewpoints into solutions, giving credit where credit is due. Leverages expertise of all team members to ensure successful outcomes. Makes choices and sets priorities with a Bank Group corporate perspective in mind
Create, Apply, and Share Knowledge: Ensures systematic sharing of best practices and learning from lessons from across the Bank Group, clients, and partners. Is known across the Bank Group in their subject area and is sought out by Bank Group colleagues to advise, peer review, or contribute to knowledge products of others. Seeks mentoring opportunities with more experienced staff to deepen or strengthen their professional knowledge and mentors junior staff. Builds networks across the Bank Group and as part of external professional groups/networks
Make Smart Decisions: Applies critical thinking and seeks inputs and experience from others to recommend a course of action consistent with the Bank Group’s strategy. Evaluates risk and anticipates the short and long-term implications of decisions. Commits to a decision and takes action once a decision has been reached