Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries (DMCs) are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 member countries.
The position is assigned in the Investment Funds and Special Initiatives Division (PSIS) within the Private Sector Operations Department (PSOD). PSIS is responsible for deal identification and processing, up to signing, for investments in private equity funds, execution support/product expertise for direct equity investments / divestments undertaken throughout PSOD, management of concessional financing relationships and funds, and other special investment initiatives in all ADB DMCs. PSOD provides investment capital to private sector entrepreneurs, corporates and project sponsors, as well as financial intermediaries, such as banks, throughout developing Asia. We catalyze, structure, and fund investments in privately held and state-sponsored companies across a wide range of industry sectors. Our emphasis is on commercially viable transactions that generate financial returns while also delivering on ADB’s organization-wide mission to promote environmentally sustainable and inclusive economic growth. PSOD is looking for exceptional project and corporate financiers or developers able to identify, structure and close innovative, developmentally and financially robust debt, equity and guarantee transactions. To learn more about PSOD, watch our video on “Working with ADB on Private Sector Financing.”
To view ADB’s Organizational Chart, please click here.
This is a re-advertisement. Applications received from previous posting will be considered together with applications received in response to advertisement. Previous applicants need not apply.
This is a special fixed-term appointment for a period of three (3) years). The duration may be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period at the option of Asian Development Bank (ADB), if the position continues to be required and funded under the Canadian Climate Fund for the Private Sector in Asia II. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the original or extended term.
This appointment is open to internal and external applicants. If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment.
The Senior Investment Specialist will act as the Fund Administrator for a new $150 million co-financing initiative (the “fund”) designed to support greater private sector participation in climate projects in low and lower middle income countries in Asia and the Pacific. The fund will provide concessional cofinancing for ADB’s non-sovereign climate adaptation and mitigation transactions and also aims to improve gender equality in private sector climate projects. The incumbent will report to Director, PSIS and may supervise national and administrative staff.
- Fund Management – includes but not limited to: 1) Overall administration and monitoring of the fund for compliance with operational and other guidelines and agreements, including fund documentation and ADB policies and procedures (e.g., ADB safeguards, integrity, and terrorism and anti-money laundering); 2) Administering and managing capital call requirements; 3) Managing cash flow including projections; 4) Maintaining all investor communications and generating routine investor and financial reporting preparation and distribution packages; and 5) As needed, manage and reduce potential conflicts of interest by acting as a member of a separate ADB project team to represent the interest of a third party funds in ADB’s processing of transactions
- Project Processing and Administration – includes but not limited to: 1) Supporting the origination of a pipeline of eligible private sector transactions and screening of investment opportunities; 2) Analyzing and structuring transactions to maximize the potential for commercial co-financing and catalyzing of additional sources of capital; 3) Undertaking due diligence, risk analysis and mitigation in the structuring of loans and mezzanine financing instruments for third party financing; 4) Supporting ADB’s internal approvals process including interfacing with credit, safeguards, integrity, legal and other teams as well as management and the ADB Board; 5) Supporting the structuring of transactions utilizing third party funds; 6) Working closely with PSOD’s portfolio management division to support day to day operations in the administration, monitoring, and risk management of projects co-financed by third parties; 7) Ensuring transactions comply with ADB’s principles for the use of blended concessional finance; and 8) Supporting PSIS in ad hoc work as needed
- External Liaison – includes but not limited to liaising with third party donor to ensure projects are aligned with the appropriate financing mandate and fulfill all conditions under co-financing agreements including approvals, monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Knowledge Sharing – includes but not limited to: 1) Conducting analysis and preparing discussion papers on third party finance topics, providing inputs to ongoing initiatives/discussions with donors about engaging the private sector in infrastructure financing activities; 2) Participating in and contributing to internal and external training and conferences and other activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building relating to third party financing; and 3) Maintaining and share knowledge of emerging best practices in fund management
- Staff Supervision – includes but not limited to: 1) Taking the role of team leader to develop capabilities/potential of reporting staff; 2) Tracking the performance of reporting staff; and 3) Ensuring the on-going learning and development of reporting staff
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s degree, or equivalent, in business administration, finance, and accounting or related fields, preferably at post-graduate level or its equivalent. A university degree in business, finance, accounting or related fields combined with a specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a master’s degree.
- At least 10 years of experience in investment management with demonstrated ability to manage investment portfolios and client relationships
- Relevant experience in developing private sector climate mitigation and adaptation projects with experience in gender equality
- International experience working in development in several countries
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required, including a demonstrated ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently with good presentation skills in one-on-one settings or to larger groups (inside and outside of ADB)
- Highly motivated and strong work ethic
- Excellent organizational, multi-tasking and time management skills with demonstrated ability to work efficiently and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with large, culturally diverse teams at all levels
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff levels 5-6.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of three (3) years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.