At Corus, our mission is Working Together to End Poverty and Build Healthy Communities in those countries where there is the greatest need. Corus operates in 19 countries globally, involving multiple partnerships, challenging humanitarian and development contexts, and extensive geographic scope. Given its business context, the risk is an inherent part of Corus’s activities, and this requires Corus to have an effective risk management strategy to (a) manage risk to achieve its mission; (b) safeguard its staff, children, vulnerable adults, and beneficiaries from harm, abuse, and exploitation; and (c) safeguard the interests of its clients and donors.
Internal Audit & Investigation Department “IA&I” provides independent and objective assurance and consulting activity that is guided by a philosophy of adding value to improve the organization’s operations by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of the organization’s management of risks and internal controls.
The Senior Internal Auditor (SIA) will be required to lead internal audit engagements of Corus country offices and HQ units in accordance with International Standards for Professional Practice of Internal Auditing, Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards and Corus policies and procedures.
We are looking for candidates who would be comfortable working independently and forming judgements in the complex operating environment presented by Corus’s work, and who are eager to develop skills and experience in Internal Auditing within challenging environments within international development.
This is an opportunity to take on a challenging and exciting role, working with a team of experts.
Working collaboratively with Corus staff to share knowledge, perform root cause analysis, s/he will be responsible for planning and leading operational, financial and compliance audits to evaluate the effectiveness of internal controls and organizational risk. The SIA will be required to make recommendations to senior management that will aim to increase efficiency and/or effectiveness of the control systems of functions reviewed.
S/he will ensure recommendations made are achievable and mitigate the risks identified and liaise with remediation owners to ensure recommendations are implemented. In addition, the SIA will be required to support the development of junior staff through mentoring and coaching during the audit engagement.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Plan and coordinate internal audit engagements in conjunction with the Director, Internal Audit pertaining to country offices, HQ units and other regulatory audit requirements to fulfill the purposes and responsibilities approved by Corus’s Leadership Team, Board of Directors and Audit & Risk Committee (ARC).
- Provide independent assurance to leadership and the ARC on the effective design and implementation of internal controls, risk mitigation strategies and overall compliance with Corus International’s policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain key relationships throughout the organization as a means of obtaining information needed to perform functional duties, provide business advisory service and to provide strategic recommendations.
- Professionally communicating both verbally and in writing and preparing formal presentations with executive summaries and recommendations based on audit results to Corus Leadership, Board of Directors and ARC.
- Oversee the execution of other tasks or special projects when required by Leadership or the ARC such as review of system implementations, due diligence reviews, and internal investigations.
- Ensure compliance with all policies and procedures designed to guide the internal audit department and to ensure extremely high levels of integrity and ethics are maintained at all times.
- Gives an opinion on the adequacy of internal controls, management’s risk response, compliance with applicable laws and regulations, and adherence to Corus policies and procedures in timely reports that are concise and based upon disciplined audit programs as documented in professionally prepared workpapers.
- Prepares and indexes workpapers, ensuring that files are organized, legible, and logically developed to support the internal audit report’s conclusions.
- Leads entrance and exit meetings. In the normal course of an audit, the SIA communicates the purpose of the audit, defines information required from auditees, explains findings and recommendations, and design practical and sustainable follow-up requirements.
- Conducts performance assessments of audit team members after an engagement, and coaches junior team members in their development of skills and capabilities.
- Perform site visits as required at HQ, Country office, subrecipients’ offices, and supply chain sites to assess capacity to implement effective internal controls as required.
- Support the Integrity and Ethics team when required in the management of an investigation into ethics incidents.
- Act as subject matter expert as a designated regional point of contact to offer support on all things Internal Audit.
- Conduct Advisory reports as required at the request of Leadership or ARC.
- Any other duties as required to support the Director, Internal Audit or the Senior Director Internal Audit & Investigations.
Knowledge / Skills:
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills in English and French.
- Superior analytical, critical-thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional project management skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure.
- Proven ability to coach and develop team members.
- Whilst not essential, candidates with knowledge of USAID rules and regulations such as 2 CFR 200, AIDAR, FAR, Standard Provisions would be desirable.
- Involvement in ethics and Integrity incident management, including investigations.
- A sincere interest in supporting the mission of Corus and upholding its core values.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Foreign Language: Candidates must be proficient in both verbal and written English and French.
Travel: Ability to travel up to 40-50 percent of his/her time, possibly to remote regions which may include adverse conditions and/or disaster zones. Ability to withstand extremes of temperature and altitude.
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytic discipline required, such as accounting, finance, business, economics.
- Professional Certifications: CIA preferred, CPA CFE, and/or CISA, considered.
- Proven data analytics skills.
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in progressively responsible roles within an internal audit function.
- Work experience in international development, management consulting, public accounting, or Office of the Inspector General would be advantageous.
Corus International prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by U.S. or International law.