IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our six decades of experience to create opportunity where it’s needed most. In FY15, our long-term investments in developing countries rose to nearly $18 billion, leveraging our capital, expertise and influence to help the private sector end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit http://www.ifc.org.
IFC’s Lifesciences team within the Global Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Services Department supports the World Bank Group’s aim of improving access to efficient, reliable and affordable drugs for the poor in emerging markets. The Global Lifesciences team is responsible for managing IFC’s investment activities in the areas of production, distribution and retail of pharmaceutical and other lifesciences products. The team works with a wide range of investment products, from project and corporate finance on the debt side, to equity and quasi-equity in private and listed companies.
To support the growth of this business, IFC is seeking a Senior Industry Specialist, with rich experience in the Lifesciences sector and sound business judgment, to be a part of the investment team and provide an expert opinion on the technical and operational aspects on the project. The selected candidate will be based in Washington, DC and will work under the oversight of the Global Sector Manager.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3 year term appointment.Background / General description
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
– Serve as the Lifesciences technical specialist in the team assessing investment opportunities in companies involved in the manufacturing, distribution and retail of pharmaceutical/ lifesciences products;
– Work closely with the Global Lead for Lifesciences in screening, appraising, and supervising the investment projects in this sector;
– Provide an opinion on the viability on the technical and commercial merits as well as the quality of management and technical teams of potential investment opportunities the pharmaceutical/ lifesciences sector, as a part of the detailed due diligence of investment proposals;
– Provide a detailed report on the findings as a part of the materials for making investment decisions;
– Assist in monitoring and supervision of existing IFC financed projects, including periodic site visits, regular review of project progress, and coordination with the financiers/banks with whom IFC co-invests;
– Participate in business development to build a strong pipeline of investment opportunities;
– Contribute to the Lifesciences sector team’s knowledge management, through the development of case studies, preparation and leading of industry overviews and primers;
– Coordinate closely with environmental and social specialists in order to identify and mitigate risks and add value to our clients’ businesses.DRDuties and Accountabilities
• Master’s or advanced Degree in pharmaceuticals or chemicals;
• 15+ years of international operational/managerial experience with pharmaceutical companies and familiarity with the processes/requirements of US-FDA and other similar regulators;
• Experience in the pharmaceutical manufacturing operations, including engineering design, costing, planning, procurement, construction, implementation and operation;
• Understanding and/ or experience in quality control aspects of this sector;
• Experience in the development of pharmaceutical business and product pipeline; good understanding of various business models (domestic and export-based) of producers from the top emerging markets;
• Hands-on experience in the dynamics of the main pharmaceutical markets in the developed and emerging countries and knowledge of regulatory requirements in such countries;
• Understanding of the pharmaceutical distribution and retail markets in top emerging countries;
• Qualifications must include computer literacy in relevant scientific/technical software,
• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal in English.SCSelection Criteria