Humanitarian Assistance is one of the growing and critical areas that Corus International will be programmatically vested in going forward. At the regional level, where organizational presence is varied from one country to another, the role of this position will be to build strong on-the-ground relationships, reputation and ensure humanitarian response quality is meeting international standards. In acute emergencies, this position will be deemed to play a senior role leading the regional and country response (team leader) and coordinating business development or external representation needs as deemed necessary within the Middle East region.
This position is located in Amman, Jordan. The position is open to Local Nationals (Jordanian Nationals), Expats and TCNs.
Reporting to the Senior Regional Director of Asia and Middle East, the Senior Humanitarian Technical Coordinator (Middle East) will have the role building strong on-the-ground relationships, reputation and ensure humanitarian response quality is meeting international standards. In acute emergencies, this position will be deemed to play a senior role leading the regional and country response (team leader) and coordinating business development or external representation needs as deemed necessary within the Middle East region.
The ideal candidate will have the savviness of identifying creative niche areas for the regional programming, relating to and building ties with the key strategic stakeholders and be known for making such relationships a success. In addition, this role will be pivotal in mounting or leading initial response and would have had field experience and substantial demonstrated knowledge of doing so.
External Engagement and Partnerships
- In coordination with the Regional Representative for Strategic Partnerships, represents Corus International in select strategic Humanitarian forums at the regional and country level and builds relationships with the key humanitarian actors;
- Supports the country office leads in the Middle East region in contributing to the regional and country-based Humanitarian planning led by the UN or other key counterparts and is a regional voice of Corus’s core sectors and capacities in the UN Cluster (or equivalent) country-based or regional conversations
- Works with the HA, Regional and country teams to define select partnerships at the regional and country level and pursues negotiations, due diligence process as well as a subsequent MoU (or alternative) forms of sealing the relationship. This may vary from signing up for the Consortia membership to strategic alliances and more.
Humanitarian Program Quality and Operations
- Serves as a senior Humanitarian Advisor and a focal point for the humanitarian programs including program design, implementation and evaluation.
- Advises the country team(s) on the core Humanitarian sectoral approaches in close collaboration with the HQ Humanitarian Assistance team (HQ) and other relevant stakeholders in QUIL department.
- In close collaboration with the HA HQ team, sources technical expertise in-country as well as globally and supports the operations in recruitment, procurement and logistics as necessary.
- In close collaboration with the Regional Representative for Strategic Partnerships maintains the regional “outlook” on key humanitarian issues pertinent to the country-specific contexts and humanitarian needs. As part of the endeavor, supports HA team in producing global “Watchlist” with key data fed from relevant WARO humanitarian specifics and needs.
- Serves as a Team leader and a deployable resource for gap-filling in the region, including but not limited to: the start-up and implementation of the humanitarian and emergency response projects; close-out of existing projects, and visibility/networking events. Work closely with the HA team to ensure the programming complies with core humanitarian standards.
- Works closely with the Regional Director, Regional Representative for Strategic Partnerships, HA HQ team and other stakeholders in the Business Development department for the development of the Middle East regional business development strategy.
- On behalf of the HA HQ team, leads specific opportunities (capture / scoping, concept notes, proposals) and identification of the technical and sectoral inputs and sources such support in close collaboration with the HA/ regional and QUIL teams.
- Serve as technical writer or lead technical designs in areas of technical expertise, when relevant/appropriate.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
EDUCATION: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in International Development or a related field is required. A Master’s degree in related and relevant field is preferred.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of 7 years’ experience in international humanitarian and development programs including with a primary focus on business development (i.e. positioning, capture, proposal development, and donor/partner negotiations). Project implementation and management in the Middle East preferred.
LANGUAGE: Fluent speaking/reading of English and Arabic languages is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the humanitarian field and advanced demonstrated capacity
- Demonstrated knowledge of the key donor principles and strategies
- Demonstrated strong knowledge of key issues (e.g. global humanitarian commitments or trends, transitions and evolution of key topics (e.g. localization, cash, good donorship, etc )
- Demonstrated ability to mount operational response and work effectively in ambiguous situations
- Demonstrated experience or knowledge of working with the local structures (including liaising with the national and local governments).
- Ability to work under pressure, work with tight deadlines and fast turnaround requirements, ability to collaborate effectively across different departments and structures, strong programming, prioritization and organizational skills. Strong verbal and presentation skills is a must!
- Ability to travel up to 40% of time annually; including to hardship locations.