With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Highly motivated, solution-oriented and operational Human Resources Business Partner (HRBP) who has a solid foundation in all strategic and functional aspects of Human Resources. The position is located in EDF’s Washington, D.C. office and reports to the Director, HRBP.
The HR Business Partner is the first HR contact for their assigned client groups. The HRBP provides HR support, helps drive key HR initiatives, handles transactional issues, and advises clients on strategic and operational matters. They assess HR-related needs and communicate these needs proactively between client groups and HR, working collaboratively to develop integrated solutions. The Senior Manager will formulate partnerships across the HR function including talent acquisition, DEI, compensation, systems, benefits, and talent development to deliver value-added service to management and employees that reflect the strategic goals and values of the organization. The HRBP will work to uphold a positive reputation of HR with employees, managers, and leadership and ensure that EDF values are upheld.
- Provide client groups with trusted human resources advice in support of program and organizational goals while reinforcing culture, mission, and values of EDF
- Develop strong relationships with client groups, including a solid understanding of programmatic strategy and objectives, and establish this position as the prime contact for assigned clients
- Partner with HR centers of expertise to find best practice solutions and to drive key HR initiatives with client groups (e.g., performance review program, DEI initiatives, succession planning, etc.)
- Guide client groups on questions and issues regarding general employee relations, counseling managers and employees on work-related issues, as well as interpreting and applying company policies and procedures
- Consult with managers to provide day-to-day performance management guidance
- Support talent acquisition by reviewing and assisting clients with drafting job descriptions and serving as liaison among the client groups, talent acquisition, and systems and compensation to help clients successfully navigate the hiring process
- Manage and facilitate HR processes in order to execute day-to-day operations, using HRIS (e.g., Workday) and other systems as needed; identify and recommend improvements to HR processes
- Collaborate with managers and HR colleagues to address employee relations issues with a high degree of sensitivity and discretion; conduct effective, thorough, and objective investigations as needed
- In conjunction with other HRBPs, ensure that policies and procedures are implemented consistently across EDF, serve as an employee champion and change agent
- With the guidance of the HRBP Director, ensure HR/EDF compliance and proactively identify potential risks, keep up to date with EEO guidelines, human resources legislation and regulations, as well as changes in the human resources field and support updates to policies and practices as needed
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
- Serve as a mentor and guide for junior HR team members
- At least 8+ years’ experience in a human resources generalist role; experience with NGO, governmental, and/or matrixed organizations preferred
- Demonstrated experience working across several HR disciplines including organizational change, employee relations, employment law, diversity, performance management, talent development, recruiting, and/or compensation
- Bachelor’s degree required; HR certifications desirable
- Strong relationship management, consultative, organizational, and project management skills
- Firm understanding of U.S. federal, state, and local regulations and human resources policies and procedures; experience drafting and facilitating policy implementation preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (written and oral) skills with a demonstrated ability to build collaborative partnerships and work effectively and diplomatically with all levels of an organization
- Good judgment and discretion and the highest level of professionalism to manage sensitive and confidential matters
- Action oriented, hands-on, able to work independently and collaboratively as part of a diverse, geographically dispersed team
- Ability to juggle multiple deadlines and initiatives under pressure, work with a sense of urgency, and remain flexible in an evolving environment
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and Outlook; knowledge of HRIS and applicant tracking systems preferred (Workday a plus)
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Interest in environmental issues and advocacy a plus
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.