To collaborate in advising management and staff on strategy and long-range interventions on portfolio, policy, operations and strategic partnerships. To support in conceiving, developing and promoting innovations in Bank Policy, operational procedures, project/program design in organization and management of operations in Transport in IDB member countries. To provide advisory services and technical guidance in matter related to Transport. Builds, collaborates, engages with and nurtures a network of developers to ensure that IDB follows best practices in project management and in development of sector policy and related strategies
Strategic & Operational Planning
- Contribute to the preparation of key strategy papers, new programs and knowledge product development to ensure the unit is contributing to the overall goal of the bank.
- Undertake the analytical/economic and sector work (ESW) as well as sector dialogue during Member Country Partnership Strategy (MCPS) and programming missions.
- Provide technical input for the development, review and monitoring of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) of the Transport Unit and Core Sector Indicators (CSI) in IDB financed projects in Member Countries to ensure the highest level of efficiency is achieved.
- Provide technical expertise to the Transport team on all strategic matters.
Policies, Processes and Procedures
- Undertake the design, review and implementation of the IDB’s policies, procedures and guidelines relating to the sector interventions to ensure alignment with local and industry standards.
- Ensure compliance with IDB’s policies and guidelines to ensure quality in the operational work of Transport sector as well as maintaining good working relationships with various clients.
Sector Portfolio Management
- Ensure quality throughout project lifecycle of IDB financed projects to ensure all projects abide by the high-quality standards demanded by the Bank.
- Undertake sector work in relation to ensure the inclusion of international best practices.
- Monitor overall sector portfolio in order to ensure its successful implementation or advise on corrective measures if necessary.
- Participate in Transport Portfolio Performance Review (SPPR) and Country Portfolio Performance Review (CPPR).
- Participate in Quality Assurance and review Meetings and prepare cost-benefit, socio-economic, financial/economic analyses of the Bank’s projects in the Transport sector to ensure the complete understanding of the Transport sector’s environment.
- Carries out responsibilities for a variety of operational tasks (e.g. participating as a full member of a multi-disciplinary team) and undertaking assignments of Member Country Partnership Strategy and for quality assurance in project preparation, appraisal and supervision as well as ESW in Transport.
- Provides inputs to and prepares diverse operational and sector products/outputs (e.g. sector and country briefings, background reports, case studies, policy note, ESW, portfolio performance reviews, and Project Completion Reports (PCR) etc.).
- Participate in missions in area of specialization in order to contribute to design of complex operations in special circumstances.
- Collaborate with the Regional Hubs and OQR and tracks results to ensure the project implementation work is done in an efficient manner.
- Participation in program/project reviews and evaluation exercises.
- Oversee the work of consultants and technical specialists to ensure consistency and conformity to Bank standards.
Knowledge Sharing & Innovation
- Provide technical guidance and insights to team members to ensure all team members are able to deliver efficiently.
- Contribute to IDB knowledge repository by documenting best practices and lessons learned.
- Share knowledge as subject matter expert related to sector issues to enhance a knowledge sharing culture across the Bank that would allow it to create more value.
- Use innovative approaches in conceptualizing, designing and implementing projects and programs to ensure best practices are used and adapted to sector projects and programs.
- Collaborate with other pillars/sectoral teams to ensure dissemination of tailored knowledge and expertise to support project implementation, ensuring that cross-cutting issues such as capacity development, women’s empowerment, and social/environmental issues related to Transport are adequately addressed.
- Share key knowledge and learning outcomes with the Knowledge Management and Institutional Learning Unit in areas related to the sector
- Participate and contribute in regional and international events/forums on Transport to stay abreast with the latest development in the sector
- Develop partnership with the international institutions to synergize the knowledge products preparation, technology reviews, issues, innovations and solutions.
- Masters degree in economics, engineering, or related field.
- English (mandatory)
- French (preferred)
- Arabic (preferred)
Minimum number of years and nature of experience
- 7+ years experience in development sector, 3 of which in international financial institutions.
- Experience in Transport or related fields.
Job specific competencies
- Knowledge of Transport trends in MCs and NMCs.
- Knowledge in conceptualizing and managing Transportation Projects/ programs.
- Project management
- Analytical (sector analysis, diagnosis studies and country context analysis)
- Result development management
- Team leader