Job Title/Grade: Senior Global Practice Specialist II, Finance and Investment (11)
Principal Global Practice Specialist, Finance and Investment (12)
Senior Principal Global Practice Specialist, Finance and Investment (13)
Department: Technical Services
Reports to: Global Practice Leader
Date: November 12, 2018
Function of the Position:
DAI seeks a senior professional with hands-on experience in finance and investment who can help provide vision and help enhance DAI’s leadership in this technical area, and develop a significant portfolio of projects funded by USAID, UK aid, European Commission and other donors and development finance institutions (DFIs). DAI seeks a senior Finance and Investment Specialist with some combination of hands-on experience in commercial banking, private equity, investment facilitation, capital mobilization, investment readiness, investment promotion, blended finance, strengthening local financial markets, catalyzing local investors and investment, supporting US investors, and engaging with US, UK, EC and other international development finance institutions and impact investors. Experience in developing countries and frontier markets preferred. MBA in finance or relevant graduate degree required.
The Specialist will guide strategies to advance DAI’s efforts supporting capital mobilization and private investment in developing countries and provide technical assistance to a global portfolio of projects funded by USAID and other donors. The Global Practice Specialist (GPS) will work in Technical Services/Economic Growth Sector and work across the organization in the following areas:
- Develop, test, and scale innovative approaches in the above areas that are reflected in winning proposals and help put DAI at the forefront of investment facilitation and capital mobilization service providers;
- Strengthen DAI’s reputation as a thought leader in the international community in private capital mobilization, blended finance and financial facilitation through the promotion of innovative approaches to increase private sector investment in developing countries;
- Advise on and facilitate the development of worldwide partnerships with new potential collaborators, such as investment transaction advisors, investment firms and fund managers, institutional investors, multinational companies, banks and development finance institutions;
- Synthesize key themes, sectors and geographies for donors and private investors and define initial approaches to partnership that might range from project support on DAI’s current portfolio of donor-funded work, to bidding on work with DFIs to advisory or investment.
- Work to establish new business targets for investment facilitation/capital mobilization projects, based on market knowledge and market evolution; and
- Deliver excellent technical support and innovation to USAID, UK, EC and other donor-funded projects being carried out by DAI teams worldwide.
- Build relationships with leading donors, DFIs, private sector emerging market venture capital and investment professionals, to advance DAI’s engagement and networks in this sphere;
- Write blogs and publish other thought leadership pieces on investment facilitation, the state of the industry and DAI’s evolving role in it, and other related content
- Other duties likely to include participating in business development efforts, including writing technical components.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Specialist will network across DAI’s Delivery and Technical Services teams within DAI. The following percentage time allocations are notional, and will be tailored based upon individual capacity in key areas and evolving company need.
1. Business Development and Growth (40%)
Follow trends in the international market that influence the development of annual new business plans and participate in setting new business priorities in consultation with USG and DAI Europe (DAI/E). Help strategize winning approaches for bid opportunities. Organize and lead reconnaissance efforts in target countries. Build relationships and new networks for DAI into the emerging market investment field. Track and follow-up on business intelligence related to bid opportunities. Serve as a champion and technical lead in writing winning proposals for trade and investment bids/tenders.
Participate in the development and implementation of a multi-year, multi-client plan to expand work in the development finance and investment field, focusing on products and services that address the needs of clients in local, national, regional, and international locations. Align DAI’s technical capabilities with private and public sector client needs in USG’s and DAI/E’s markets to win new business with USAID missions, DFID, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, EC and other clients.
Market the Global Practice’s portfolio and support marketing and sales plans undertaken by Business Development in USG and DAI/E. Support efforts to build recognition of DAI’s capabilities, experiences, and results/impacts with clients through marketing efforts that improve the positioning of DAI’s brand of quality and value. Help build and grow strategic client relationships and serve as a technical point of contact with key clients as assigned.
2. Consulting and Technical (30%)
Provide technical leadership and services of the Global Practice. Assist in GP engagement with DAI Chiefs of Party (COPs), Team Leaders, project directors and project teams to identify, adapt, and refine technologies, tools, and approaches to provide cost effective solutions for current projects, new business activities and new clients. Work closely with the USG Delivery, DAI/E, and the corporate communications department to capture technical achievements, lessons learned, and best practices in finance and investment activities from field projects and short-term consultancies to support traditional and diversified client sales and growth. Participate in cross-sector process improvement and strategic planning teams.
Assist in outreach and information dissemination plans that build DAI’s technical reputation and competitive position. Disseminate DAI’s development services through multiple channels, including social media, professional conferences, video, and public speaking engagements.
Lead trainings and information sharing sessions in finance and investment and work directly with DAI/E offices to build their finance and investment capacity. The Specialist will be based in DAI’s London office and work across the organization including to build long-term relationships with local offices and their clients.
3. Knowledge Management (15%)
The GPS will work with DAI’s technical sectors to identify and highlight innovative approaches being implemented in projects around the world. Using this knowledge base, participate in diverse economic growth, governance and environment networks and events that provide strategic opportunities to showcase work being carried out by DAI. He/she will seek out opportunities to expand internal and external understanding of DAI’s work in finance and investment, draft blogs and articles for DAI’s “Developments” and other publications, and develop and maintain external networks of partners, clients, and individual consultants that DAI can tap to identify business opportunities and deliver outstanding results. The candidate must be familiar with a wide range of finance and investment strategies.
4. Project Support (15%)
Identify, capture and share information and lessons learned from past and present projects with proposal teams and other field projects. Update key tools and lessons learned on the DAI Technical Services/Economic Growth and Global Practices Community of Practices on the DAI portal.
Additional responsibilities as deemed necessary.
- Grade 13: 17 years relevant work experience and a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, or 15 years relevant work experience and a Master’s degree in a relevant field, or 9 years relevant work experience and a PhD. in a relevant field.
- Grade 12 : 13 years of relevant work experience and a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, or 11 years and a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Grade 11: 11 years of relevant work experience and a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, or 9 years relevant work experience and a Master’s degree.
- At least 5 years of experience working in/with developing countries and preferably leading and managing programs that deliver technical expertise/support in facilitating investment and finance for emerging market companies, especially SMEs.
- Demonstrated experience conceptualizing and implementing strategic initiatives, including approaches for engaging disadvantaged populations.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and lead teams for winning new business and delivering excellent results to clients.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and network to advance DAI’s engagement in investment facilitation
- Ability to take on both leadership and support roles in the development of plans, proposals and in carrying out work.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills and demonstrated experience writing strong technical proposals for USAID or other clients and blogs and articles.
- Ability to travel an estimated 30% of the time for proposal reconnaissance and provision of technical support to projects.
Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Supervisory Requirements: None
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. EOE – Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans