Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle.
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Administrative Expenses Section (CTFA-AE), Trust Fund and Administrative Expense Division (CTFA) within the Controller’s Department (CTL). The Controller’s Department helps maintain adequate and sound internal control of processes in ADB and provides quality services to clients while maintaining sound fiduciary controls. CTFA is responsible for trust fund accounting and reporting and processing administrative expenses (payroll, pension, business travel, staff consultants, staff accounts, accounts payable, fixed assets, and accounts receivable).
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Financial Control Assistant will undertake a variety of accounting duties in the areas related to payroll, pension, staff receivables, termination payments, benefits payments. The Senior Financial Control Assistant will also maintain and update accounting records; maintain sound accounting/internal controls; prepare accounting and other reports; and carry out administrative functions, as required. The incumbent will report to designated International Staff and senior National Staff.
- Performs accurate and timely processing and payment of salary, pension, staff receivables and other related staff benefits including final pay and benefit payments of resigned staff using Oracle Applications, ensuring compliance with all relevant ADB policies and procedures.
- Maintains and ensures appropriate, adequate, and timely controls in the preparation of accounting data, processing of transactions and preparation of reports; recommends changes and improvements as required to ensure that correct, complete, and timely accounting records are maintained.
- Prepares and posts accurate and appropriate journal entries for payroll, staff accounts, pension, and related benefit expenses to the Oracle General Ledger after verifying the accuracy and completeness of data in compliance with generally accepted accounting practices.
- Promptly prepares account analyses and reconciliations of various payroll and staff account balances against General Ledger, clearing and other accounts; investigates and verifies discrepancies and unusual items, and promptly takes necessary action to resolve or clear them.
- Assists in the preparation of data for accruals of payroll items in coordination with other departments as appropriate; controls, monitors and analyzes such accruals regarding their validity and appropriateness.
- Assists in ensuring the accuracy and reliability of related systems by reviewing related output; participates in system user acceptance testing prior to implementation of system enhancements.
- Provides client assistance by addressing related queries on processed transactions and net pay and deductions in a tactful manner, referring issues and concerns to supervisors, if needed.
- Carries out various administrative tasks, maintains/updates relevant records and documents, and performs any other assignments as required.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Commerce or Finance with Certified Public Accountant qualification.
- Minimum of 5 years accounting or auditing experience, working with computerized accounting systems in a large organization.
- Proficient understanding of US GAAP and/or international financial reporting standards, accounting policies, and practices and systems as well as general policies, procedures, guidelines and reporting requirements prevalent in multilateral institutions.
- In-depth understanding of the interactions between a multilateral institution’s different work areas and workflows and their purpose, as well as business knowledge of relevant areas to enable accounting concepts to be applied appropriately.
- Proficient in office suite software used in multilateral institutions, particularly, MS Excel and MS Word, and in-depth knowledge of a large accounting software (e.g., Oracle ERP, SAP) and its interfaces with other systems and work areas.
- Good understanding of the concept of internal controls and their application.
- Analytical and systematic with strong numerical skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to plan and coordinate schedules to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member and provide feedback to colleagues.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for Administrative Staff Level AS5.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious, and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation, or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.