The Senior Finance Officer will be responsible for managing general accounting duties assigned to them by the Country Finance Manager. The Senior Finance Officer who will be a senior accountant will be responsible for managing general accounting duties. Some of the initial responsibilities will include: maintenance of financial sheets, input and review of journal entries, reconciliations, assistance with internal and external audits, and other accounting duties. He/she also provides support to the Country team, in liaison with the head office General Accounting Unit, as needed.
The incumbent will report directly to the Country Finance Manager and will line manage the Country Finance Officer(s) and Finance Assistant.
Key Performance Areas
Financial and Accounting Support to Country Operations
- Provide financial accounting and management support to the Country Finance Manager and Country Director, and liaise with Head Office Finance Department;
- Provide financial management advice and assistance to the Country Finance Manager and Country Director; including assistance in the preparation and monitoring of country budgets;
- Provide direct oversight of accounting processing and related work processes in relation to the country office transactions;
- Approve all financial transactions (purchase orders, credit memos, journals etc.) on the accounting system;
- Ensure posting of all encumbrances and maintain a 30-day vendor balance;
- Ensure that all financial transactional data is entered and processed correctly onto the system;
- Oversee CFO – set-up new suppliers on the accounting system
- Oversee CFO – Set-up payments onto the banking system for submission to the Treasury Unit
- Maintain and update supplier information and do relevant background checks and terrorist/debarment checks
- Ensure that direct debits payment are checked to supporting documentation and correctly recorded in the accounting system
- Run the creditor report at month-end
- To ensure monthly payment reports are produced for the cash flow analysis
Management of staff and vendor accounts
- In coordination with the CFO, ensure up-to-date processing of staff advances;
- Prepare a reconciliation of vendor accounts and submit account balances to staff monthly for liquidations
Coordinate and manage financial month-end and year-end close activities
- Manage works flow and processes for all Finance and Administration Assistants in Maputo and at the provincial level
- Coordinate with a head office finance team and other units to ensure timely month-end close activities are performed;
- Coordinate the preparation of relevant month-end close reconciliation of balance sheet accounts;
- Review month-end close report package for submission to the Country Finance Manager;
- Prepare a monthly compliance checklist for review by the Country Finance Manager
- Create tools to ensure that all accounts are properly reconciled and managed on a monthly basis;
- Coordinate the mid-year and year-end activities, in preparation for yearly audits.
Budget and reporting
- Provide support to the Country Finance Manager in preparing country- and proposal budgets;
- Prepare and coordinate supporting documentation for donor reports, as required;
- Prepare and manage financial reports as required;
- Work with Programme and Project Managers for monthly review of project budgets and expenditure analysis.
Assist in the maintenance of the financial and administrative functions;
- In coordination with the system and support services unit; ensure that financial and administrative functions are properly maintained to ensure integrity of data;
- Maintain exceptional reports to check for data integrity.
Line management of in-country finance support staff
- Supervision of the Country Finance Office, Country Finance Assistant and Blantyre Finance and Administrative Clerk;
- Provide personal or career development support and training to the Finance team subordinates, as required;
- Support in the development of the Unit work-plan.