Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
Location: Hybrid 2-3 days in any of these EDF office locations New York, Boston, Austin, Raleigh, Washington, DC or Remote US
Investors represent a powerful force in accelerating the shift to a more sustainable and resilient economy. They influence the flow of trillions of dollars and are under increasing pressure to use their influence to drive change at carbon-intensive companies and to align investment portfolios with a more resilient future. Our vision is that by 2025, leading investors will be competing for climate leadership and using their influence and capital to drive change across carbon-intensive industries and scale investment in low carbon solutions.
Reporting to the Director of Investor Influence, the Senior ESG Analyst, Power Sector will conduct data-driven research and analysis on investor-owned electric utilities and independent power producers, their climate targets, net zero strategies and short-term and long-term investment plans. This role will help to inform and amplify the new “ESG By EDF: Actionable Insights for a Decarbonizing World” platform, which aims to leverage EDF’s world-leading expertise in climate science, economics, and public policy to inform rigorous assessment and constructive engagement with carbon-intensive industries. Through this platform, we intend to equip the financial community with the independent analysis and tools needed to manage climate risk, assess opportunities, and accelerate urgent action in the sectors that matter most.
The Sr. Analyst will also play a key role on a growing US power sector team, collaborating with colleagues in the US Region to help advance strategies to reduce carbon pollution as well as health-harming air pollution from the electric power sector. The Sr. Analyst will be responsible for identifying opportunities where investor interests will align with advocacy priorities, and will support direct engagement with electric power companies and other key stakeholders in the clean energy transition.
As a member of the EDF+Business Investor Influence team, the position’s responsibilities will include:
- Compiling data and performing timely in-house analysis on investor-owned utilities and independent power producers, their climate targets, net zero strategies and investment plans.
- Interfacing with the range of EDF experts specializing in energy generation and the grid, and leveraging this work to develop actionable insights and recommendations that investors can use in evaluating and engaging with utilities.
- Developing a deep understanding of the utility business model and the ways investors can support rapid and deep decarbonization.
- Identifying the highest value strategies to align deep near-term decarbonization trajectories with compelling financial performance.
- Working with EDF’s technical and policy team to identify necessary research and technical priorities; helping interpret results for the financial services audience and leverage findings to advance advocacy goals.
- Engaging with leading climate finance institutions including CDP, GFANZ, SBTi, ISSB and others to share learnings and encourage best practice.
- Supporting research and analysis for the “ESG By EDF” platform and the Investor Influence team. This entails translating complex, technical subject matter into language that resonates with and helps drive desired behavior by investor audiences. Products could include long form reports, notes, action guides, blogs, digital/social media, reporter memos, and infographics.
- Developing and presenting findings to investors through briefing calls, webinars, policy briefs, workshops and conferences.
- Participating in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
We are seeking candidates who have a demonstrated ability to conduct rigorous research and analysis in sustainable finance, energy or a closely related field. Candidates must have exceptional problem-solving and interpersonal skills, work independently and collaboratively within the EDF team, and be able to ensure consistency and quality of research products.
- Bachelor’s degree in sustainability, finance or a related field with 4 years of professional experience; or Master’s degree with at least 2 years of experience.
- Demonstrated interest in climate change and the financial sector.
- Experience with electric utilities or energy markets.
- Excellent research and analytical skills and an interest in performing rigorous quantitative analysis in support of highly visible work.
- Some familiarity with the banking industry and the evolving climate commitments among global financial institutions a plus.
- Working knowledge of the analytical tools used in assessing emission reduction potential, pathways, and costs (and ability to critically evaluate the inputs and outputs of such analysis) a plus.
- Willingness to take initiative and ability to multi-task under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, to manage projects and participate in research efforts.
- Keen attention to detail to ensure consistency and quality of outputs.
- Highly proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other office productivity software.
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python or R a plus.
- Expert writing and editing skills targeted at financial sector audiences.
- Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in English.
- Ability to support a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize a diversified workload.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive
salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities
consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 70,000 –
which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills,
training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.