Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Education Sector Group of the Sector Advisory Service Cluster within the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department. The Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department provides leadership, innovation, and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work. The Education Sector Group is responsible for providing policy advice, operational support, and knowledge expertise in mainstreaming priorities in education sector in ADB operations.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Education Specialist is expected to develop ADB’s education sector policies and strategies, knowledge work plan, and contribute to new operational priorities set in Strategy 2030. He/She will also provide technical advice and support to lending and non-lending education operations in the operations departments, in all sub-sectors of education with a particular focus on higher education and use of technology in education delivery, which includes regional technical assistance processing and administration, formulation and implementation for regional cooperation and integration, and conduct capacity building and knowledge work. The incumbent will report to Chief of Education Sector Group and will supervise National and Administrative Staff.
• Conceptualize and support development of the ADB education sector strategies and policies, in consultation with operations departments and resident missions, and advise ADB project teams to remain consistent with such strategies and policies to align with ADB’s overall strategy on One ADB, innovation, and cross-sectoral/thematic collaboration to support improved quality of education and employability of graduates.
• Anticipate, conceptualize, and support operations departments’ need to implement operational priorities outlined in Strategy 2030, particularly to generate quality jobs and improve the quality of education and training.
• Advise the project teams in the formulation of lending and non-lending pipeline of projects in the education sector to ensure full compliance of ADB policies and procedures.
• Advise the project teams to ensure technical innovativeness and high quality of project and program design and implementation and participate in project processing missions.
• Lead coordination with various donors and mobilize donor contribution.
• Lead the processing and administration of regional technical assistance projects including selected innovative pilots to ensure timely achievement of project outputs, outcome, and impact as provided in the design monitoring framework.
• Promote and explore regional cooperation in the education sector in consultation with regional departments and concerned development partners.
• Undertake analysis and assessment of key education sector issues and prepare relevant reports, articles, presentations and publications through web-posting and knowledge sharing events within and outside the department.
• Support and lead flagship education events and cooperation with knowledge partners.
• Act as a mission/team leader (as required), exercising supervision coordination, and planning responsibilities over the assigned team, with oversight from the Chief of the Education Sector Group.
• Develop and share international good practices in the education sector relevant to current and future projects and programs.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Master’s degree in education, economics, business administration, other social sciences, or any other relevant fields. Alternatively, University degree and at least 5 years specialized experience relevant to the position can be considered.
• Minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience with international experience working in development in several countries.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required.
• Proven expertise in applying advanced knowledge, practices, and solutions in the areas of education access, quality, and relevance in developing countries context.
• Understanding of complex issues pertaining to multiple levels of education, cross sector collaboration, use of high technology and other innovative solutions.
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff level 5.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.