In collaboration with international agencies and national governments, we work to advance and improve education and skills development systems.
Our work is mainly focussed on Africa and Asia and with bilateral and multilateral organisations.
Our main clients are DFID, ADB, EU, WB and USAID.
Based in Cambridge,
the Senior Education and Skills Adviser will support the growth in our capacity to offer services in the field of skills development and TVET.
We are looking to expand our capability to implement skills and private sector development projects in low-and middle-income countries within Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Europe.
To facilitate this work Mott MacDonald has an office in Ankara, Turkey. The focus of this work includes expanding employment and self-employment opportunities for vulnerable groups, ensuring that countries’ skills development systems are demand-led and responsive to employers, and managing funds to encourage innovative, locally-developed approaches to private sector development and economic growth.
This role will involve short-term technical inputs, business development and project management and there will be a particular focus on further developing our work in the Middle East, Turkey and Eastern Europe and you will be required to undertake regular travel and overseas assignments.
You will have recent and relevant experience in some of the following technical areas :
- Winning competitively bid work in the skills field;
- Designing and/or implementing employer-led skills development initiatives;
- Managing donor funds, particularly project management experience for EU funded projects;
- Design and delivery of occupational standards and competency-based curricula;
- Design and implementation of national qualifications frameworks;
- Managing and implementing industry/education partnerships;
- Design and implementation of assessment systems and their quality assurance; developing and/or implementing skills development policy, strategy and/or legal frameworks.
- Undertake specialist short-term technical inputs in your area of expertise to both on-going projects as required and new assignments as they arise;
- Provide advice on skills development components of projects;
- Provide consultancy services to key clients relating to skills development.
These may include designing, implementing, appraising and evaluating related projects; analysing policies, strategies and plans for improving training and labour market outcomes; reviewing resources and institutional capacity for monitoring and reporting on training and labour market data and providing industry-led TVET provision;
- Provide technical backstopping for aspects of other specialists’ work, as appropriate;
- Build capacity of other staff in this technical area.
- Contribute to skills strategy to achieve controlled growth in this sub-sector
- Contribute to developing a portfolio of projects with a focus on skills development or within which skills development is a major component;
- Contribute to the business planning process;
- Together with the appropriate regional and country-based staff, maintain an up-to-date overview of the skills development market and develop relationships with key clients;
- Participate in regular meetings to discuss current and future prospects, acting as ‘champion’ for a number of key prospects;
- Participate fully in bid preparation and delivery, including as lead technical writer and quality assurance reviewer, as appropriate.
- Project Management
- Act as Technical Project Director for projects where appropriate, providing technical advice to clients and project team members; In this role, ensure contract inputs and deliverables are timely and of high quality.
- Participate in Divisional meetings and lead on specific technical or business development areas as per the responsibilities above;
- Establish good working relationships and contribute to the development of the organisation.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package
Required qualifications and experience
- Experience in a senior technical or managerial post in the field of skills development and/or private sector development, able to provide in-depth knowledge and leadership and demonstrate thorough understanding of current initiatives in the field;
- A Masters’ degree in a field related to skills development and/or private sector development or equivalent
- Experience of building effective relationships with colleagues and clients and across networks, taking consideration of differences in culture and working methods, and identifying synergies across work streams;
- Substantial experience of working in a technical capacity within donor, government and /or civil society sectors, on skills development projects;
- Experience of working in a donor-funded environment, preferably in the skills development sector, with experience preferably of two of the following clients; DFID, EC, WB, ADB;
- Experience of working with Ministries of Education
- Capable of sorting and analysing information, conveying findings appropriately and with confidence;
- Able to quickly identify critical issues, consult with affected parties and make decisions based on reasoned argument and demonstrating full understanding of consequences;
- Able to identify and clarify client priorities and ensure requirements are being met, communicating changes and managing expectations as appropriate;
- Capable of developing and expanding an existing personal network of contacts within the industry, and actively pursuing opportunities to develop business;
- Proven project management experience;
- Well-developed commercial and financial awareness;
- Capable of managing time to maximum effectiveness whilst taking account of team, technical and business development accountabilities, client and project priorities and personal development opportunities;
- Able to ensure skills transfer and capacity building in environments requiring a high level of diplomacy, and sensitivity to the evolving complexities of education sector reform initiatives;
- Competency in Microsoft Office programmes.
- Business proficient in one of the following languages would be beneficial; Turkish or Arabic
The closing date for applications is Friday 7th June 2019