CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; ore because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The Senior Education and Child Development Specialist is an important member of the PDQ team. Under the general direction and guidance of the Programme Development and Quality Director, the Senior Education and Child Development Specialist will ensure that all early childhood development (ECD) and basic education interventions are of a high technical quality and attract significant donor funding which contribute to Save the Children’s strategic objectives; that monitoring processes are in place, and that programme quality and relevance is continually assessed and solutions quickly put in place to reflect changing contexts.
The Senior Education and Child Development Specialist is expected to strengthen the capacity of the existing ECD and basic education team, conduct training and provide technical advice and support to project staff, with frequent visits to the field to support high quality programme implementation and ensure programming objectives are successfully achieved. The position technically supports the ECD and education program in both development and humanitarian contexts. The Senior Education and Child Development Specialist is also expected to provide technical advice and support to ECD and basic education implementing partners.
Current thematic priorities include:
-In ECD: Emergent literacy and maths for children aged 4-6 and parenting education for children aged 0-3
-In Basic Education: Ensuring that children, including the most marginalized, have the skills, support and materials they need to achieve literacy and numeracy skills.
Literacy sector: Supporting the development of a rich literacy environment though continued support for the development of the Kinyarwanda language book sector.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Programme Development and Quality Director
Number of direct reports: Book Development and Use Specialist
Technical support and supervision: ECD and Basic Education Program Managers, Senior Education MEAL Specialist
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A child development or education professional with a Master’s degree in education, child development or relevant field;
- At least 5 years professional experience in education and/or ECD, including experience working at a senior management or technical level in child development or education for NGOs;
- Excellent understanding of the ECD and education sector, particularly issues related to literacy, holistic child development, pedagogy, teacher training, curriculum development, child protection and child rights either in development and humanitarian context;
- Clear understanding of the intersection of ECD and education with other thematic areas
- Proven representation skills;
- Strong commitment to capacity building of national staff and partners with willingness to adopt participatory and consultative approaches;
- Experience writing donor funding proposals;
- Ability to compile narrative sections and thematic budgets for proposals; ability to edit/write narrative reports, with reference to financial reporting;
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching;
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets;
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner;
- Fluency in English, verbal and written, required;
- Commitment to Save the Children values, including willingness to abide by and enforce the Child Safeguarding policy.