Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Regional Cooperation and Integration Division (ERCI) within the Economic Research and Regional Cooperation Department (ERCD). ERCD undertakes policy research and generates knowledge on key development issues of critical importance to the region, advises on strategic issues that contribute to ADB’s performance, and acts as ADB’s focal point for facilitating regional cooperation and integration (RCI) in Asia and the Pacific. ERCI, in particular, undertakes major areas of RCI-related knowledge initiatives through research, operations support, and management support. It produces a regular annual flagship publication—the Asian Economic Integration Report (AEIR), the biennial Aid for Trade report for the World Trade Organization-led global review of aid-for-trade initiative, the biannual report on progress in RCI for ASEAN+3, and other RCI-related thematic studies. It also coordinates ADB’s support for and management’s participation in ASEAN/ASEAN+3, APEC, and other regional economic policy dialogues/forums that go beyond individual sub-regions.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Economist will lead the development of strategies and approaches to facilitate trade and investment in developing member countries (DMCs) of ADB and support to ADB’s regional cooperation and integration (RCI) strategy; lead and contribute in the design and implementation of regional technical assistance projects to promote trade and investment; conduct strategic research work in trade and investment and areas that cut across macroeconomic management and trade policy; support the implementation of ADB’s RCI Strategy in the same area; extend technical and analytical support for RDs and DMCs on RCI operations by providing the analytical base; contribute to the preparation and dissemination of research outputs and publications, including the flagship and technical reports; and work within a framework of broad policies, principles and goals, applying a high degree of autonomy in selection of work methods. The incumbent will report to the Director, ERCI and will supervise National Staff/Administrative Staff.
Strategy and Planning
- Contribute to the identification of new directions and approaches to improve ADB’s capacity for promoting trade and investment and leading research projects on RCI pillars.
- Provide leadership in technical and operational matters on the above areas, including on trade policy, through knowledge sharing as well as global and regional consultations.
- Provide operational knowledge support through capacity building programs, knowledge services, and technical assistances in response to client needs.
- Develop, process, and implement regional TA projects for ADB’s developing member countries (DMCs) that promote regional financial cooperation and integration.
Regional Economic Integration
- Contribute to ERCI’s support for trade and investment facilitation to various regional forums such as Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), ASEAN+3, Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC), East Asia Summit (EAS), Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM), and other new inter-subregional cooperation forums.
- Provide support to ADB Management and other departments on RCI especially in areas of trade and investment.
- Develop, process, and implement complex regional technical assistance projects such as on trade and investment policy to promote RCI in a strategic manner for the region.
Economic Research Work
- Conduct research on regional development issues related to financial sector development and market integration.
- Contribute substantially to ADB flagship publications such as the Asian Economic Integration Report with focus on monetary and financial cooperation and integration-related topics.
- Produce high quality research papers regularly.
- Provide support to ADB Management and other departments on regional financial sector development and policy cooperation through preparation of briefing notes, speeches, and operational research papers.
Knowledge Management and Networking
- Participate in research dissemination, networking, and capacity building activities either independently or jointly with other institutions.
- Liaise with developing member country Governments, regional institutions, and international organizations on regional economic cooperation and integration issues.
- Collaborate with other knowledge and operational departments on RCI-related knowledge and project work.
External and Internal Networks
- Liaise with developing member country (DMC) Governments, and other international institutions on RCI.
- Develop partnerships with global and regional institutions that deal with RCI initiatives.
- Take the role of team leader and supervise the work of team members
- Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance
- Ensure the ongoing learning and development of reporting staff
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- A post-graduate degree (preferably at Doctorate level) in economics or related field with specialization in international trade and finance, economic integration, and development economics is required.
- At least 10 years of international professional experience (including research and teaching experience during graduate school years) in the field of international trade and finance, economic integration, and development economics is required.
- Research experience in relevant institutions such as in academia, international organizations, thinktanks, central banks and investment banks is preferable.
- Ability to undertake economic research independently is required.
- Relevant publication records in economic research are required.
- Strong background in econometric analysis is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 5.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.