Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB. 1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Economist will take a lead in the conduct of macroeconomic surveillance, forecasting, and research work on policy-relevant issues of strategic interest to ADB and its developing member countries (DMCs). The incumbent will undertake collaborative research in macroeconomics and development with ADB specialists and external researchers. The incumbent will contribute substantially to the preparation and dissemination of research outputs and publications, including ADB’s flagship publication ADO and its Update, and/or the ABM. The incumbent will report to the Director, ERMR and will supervise National Staff and Administrative Staff.
Production and dissemination of flagship publications and main report (ADO, ABM)
- Lead the teams preparing the ADO and its Update, and/or the ABM. The work involves macroeconomic surveillance, forecasting, and research, as well as drafting, editing, and project management to ensure timely delivery of a quality publication. Macroeconomic monitoring also requires leading teams on mission to meet with authorities and various stakeholders.
- Contribute to, lead or co-lead, the theme chapters, special topics, boxes, or other sections of the ADO and its Update, and/or the ABM. Undertake high-quality research in support of this, including by developing and using novel datasets and innovative techniques to analyze macroeconomic and development issues, collaborating with and guiding other researchers, organizing workshops, and liaising with other ADB departments and with ERCD and ADB senior management.
- Take a lead role in the dissemination of the ADO and its Update, and the ABM. This involves crafting effective visuals and drafts that convey messages clearly and concisely, producing auxiliary communications materials such as blogs, op-eds, podcasts, videos, and interviews in collaboration with ADB’s Department of Communications, conducting outreach missions, and shepherding the publication of background materials as working papers and/or edited volumes.
Strengthening macroeconomic surveillance, forecasting, and policy/scenario analysis (economic modeling)
- Pursue research to strengthen ADB’s expertise in macroeconomic surveillance, forecasting, and policy/scenario analysis
- Support capacity building work of the division and department to strengthen macroeconomic surveillance, forecasting, and policy/scenario analysis, in ADB’s regional departments and resident missions as well as in ADB’s developing member countries.
- Foster collaboration and coordinate macroeconomic surveillance and research work, dissemination, networking and capacity building activities within ADB and with outside researchers, including think tanks, academe, and bilateral and multilateral institutions.
Undertaking macroeconomic research (WPs, journal articles)
- Pursue a research agenda in macroeconomics and development, with an emphasis on empirical studies with policy-relevant implications.
- Provide analytical support in the areas of research expertise.
- Work independently and in research teams to produce high-quality research papers.
- Support Management dialogue with ADB clients on the policy implications of ERCD’s research work.
- Undertake collaborative research with specialists in a global network of knowledge institutions and with other ADB knowledge departments.
- Participate in and contribute to relevant internal and external training and conferences and other activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building.
Operational support (speeches, CINs, briefing notes, etc.)
- Prepare various briefing notes, country information notes; and provide inputs to speeches for Management
- Provide technical advice to other ADB departments related to macroeconomic and development issues
- Provide leadership and support to reporting staff.
- Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- A post-graduate degree (preferably at Doctorate level in Economics with specialization in macroeconomics, development, or related fields.
- At least 10 years of professional experience including research and teaching experience during graduate school years.
- International experience working in several countries.
- Evidence of high-quality research output and track record of high-quality publications in international peer-reviewed professional journals.
- Strong quantitative, analytical, and conceptual skills in economics.
- Demonstrated expertise in economic research and development in developing countries.
- Good understanding of ADB’s institutional context, strategies, priorities, and objectives.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 4.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of ADB member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.