Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of India.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in India Residence Mission (INRM) within the South Asia Department (SARD). INRM assists in the project implementation of the loans and technical assistance (TA) projects and supports the ADB HQ in processing new loans in India. INRM works closely with government agencies, development partners, private sector partners, and other stakeholders to facilitate the successful formulation, processing, administration and monitoring of ADB-financed loan and technical assistance (TA) projects.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Economics Officer (Public Finance) leads and supports upstream knowledge works, particularly on strategic planning in states with particular focus on financial sector development, to strengthen ADB’s operations and efforts to build a robust projects pipeline. The incumbent will provide in-depth technical expertise, operational support, and leadership to underpin the development of public management, the finance sector in synergy with other sectors, and trade in India and South Asia region, covering a variety of areas that would include government reform programs to strengthen public financial management, to build domestic financial sectors, and to facilitate increased trade in the country and in the region, among others. In close coordination with the Public Management, Financial Sector, & Trade Division, SARD (SAPF), the incumbent will provide project preparatory assistance, including policy advice, technical support and inputs, and capacity building to prepare programs and projects in the finance sector which are cross-cutting, multi-sectoral, and complex. The incumbent will report to Country Director and/or designated international staff (IS) and may supervise administrative staff (AS).
- Conducts economic and sector work such as the identification and analysis of financial sector development trends, economic analysis for country and regional studies, etc.
- Provides information and analyses towards the development of policy and strategies for the financial sector in India, covering areas such as banking systems, capital markets and funds, insurance, and fintech, among others, in the context of inclusive and sustainable economic development.
- Engages in relevant market research for financial products, identify constraints and provide innovative solutions for fostering policies/operations and regulatory framework in India and the region.
- Identifies cross-cutting, multi-sectoral, and complex projects in the finance sector and undertake implementation of those projects through upstream strategic planning analytical work.
- Supports and coordinates with SAPF to conduct operationally relevant studies related to the domestic financial sector, including innovative financing structures related to digital finance, climate finance, electric vehicles and related infrastructure.
- Supports discussions with relevant stakeholders in the country, gather research inputs and work with relevant SAPF staff to structure investment programs related to financial sector, MSMEs and other projects.
- Proposes and introduces innovative approaches to project design and implementation of projects in the finance sector.
- Provides support to project processing of financial and multisectoral projects and TAs, especially on the design and monitoring frameworks.
- Identifies opportunities for collaborative work, cofinancing, and facilitate liaison with development partners.
- Reviews project and technical assistance (TA) concept notes and proposals, and support loan and TA processing as required.
- Monitors and analyzes ongoing ADB finance projects in India as well as ADB sector roadmap.
- Monitor closely the developments in the financial sector, including maintaining and updating relevant database.
- Supports implementation of delegated investment projects and programs in close coordination with HQ staff.
- Coordinates with SAPF in designing and implementing monitoring and evaluation components at project.
- Conducts assessments to understand the implications for the development effectiveness of ongoing and prospective ADB projects in the financial sector and across all relevant sectors using a mix of quantitative and qualitative methods and approaches, and in the context of ADB’s Country Partnership Strategy and annual Country Operations Business Plans for India.
- Develop and maintains a suitable network in the areas of development effectiveness of cross-country experiences on operational, sector, or country issues and to keep abreast of the latest developments and issues.
- Contributes to ADB knowledge products on India as required by leading and supporting the identification, conceptualization, development, and review of high quality and in-depth knowledge products for INRM, particularly in the area of financial sector development.
- Substantially contributes to activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building on development effectiveness of ADB projects.
- Participates in internal and external knowledge outreach events and support implementation of delegated investment programs in close coordination with HQ staff.
- Performs other tasks as assigned and reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, or related fields; preferably with Master’s Degree or equivalent
- At least 8 years of relevant professional experience, including 5 years preferably in an international organization; and at least 4 years of supervisory experience
- Experience in finance and financial development related projects and knowledge management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required.
- Familiarity with local languages and institutions.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in team-oriented environment.
- Ability to take initiative and work proactively.
- Flexibility/willingness to perform variety of tasks and expand the scope of work and responsibilities as needed.
- Proficiency in the use of software packages like STATA and Eviews.
- Please refer to link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Levels 3.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.