EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Our services include research, training, educational materials, and strategy, with activities ranging from seed projects to large-scale national and international initiatives.
The overall goal of the upcoming five-year USAID-funded Early Childhood Education (ECE) activity is to increase the effectiveness of the early childhood education system and improve early learning and holistic development outcomes for preschool aged children (ages 3-6+) in Ethiopia. The specific objective is to strengthen the system’s capacity to provide quality, play-based ECE at the federal, regional, woreda, kebele and household levels, increasing early learning opportunities for pre-school aged children that support their holistic development (with special attention to those affected by crisis and conflict, including refugees and IDPs, returnees, and those in host communities).
The Senior Early Childhood Education Advisor will provide technical leadership and have responsibility for all activities associated with strengthening systems and practices related to early childhood education. The ideal candidate will be a dynamic individual with demonstrated knowledge of primary education sector work, adaptive pedagogy, early grade learning approaches, experience working with government specialists in the development of training modules, assessment, and supplementary materials, and will possess the ability to respectfully collaborate with individuals from diverse backgrounds. Extensive knowledge of the Ethiopian national and subnational education system is required.
- Provide overall strategic guidance and technical leadership to advance the Activity’s ECE systems strengthening approach;
- Guide technical-staff on essential components of ECE programs, including curriculum design, lesson planning, teacher professional development, materials development and distribution, classroom-level assessment, universal design for learning, social and emotional learning to develop and integrate highly effective and accessible activities to maximize outcomes;
- Supervise the production of activity-supported materials, trainings, teacher and classroom supervision and monitoring, and student assessments;
- Contribute to the design and implementation of the project’s learning agenda;
- Build community and host country government awareness regarding the importance of ECE;
- Work with home office experts and local partners to ensure activity relevance and quality;
- Other duties, as assigned.
Please Note: This position is not eligible for relocation or posting allowances and the salary will be paid in Ethiopian birr.
The candidate for the position of Senior Childhood Education Advisor shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
Master’s degree (or foreign equivalent) in education, literacy, early grade reading, early childhood development, or a related field. Ph.D. preferred.
Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible leadership experience in education, preferably in early childhood education;
- Expertise in teacher training, universal design for learning, curriculum design, classroom assessment, inclusive education, and gender-sensitive pedagogy;
- Familiarity with common education tools and approaches to improving education outcomes;
- Familiarity with USAID education tools and approaches is preferred;
- Understanding of the education systems in Ethiopia required.
Fluency in English and Amharic is required.
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.