IRC’s Revenue department is responsible for the global delivery of the International Rescue Committee’s financial resources, and plays an important strategic role in the creation of its brand, awareness and support for its advocacy goals. The IRC’s strategy centers on its ambition to continue to improve the scale and effectiveness of IRC programs worldwide with evidence of what works best to impact people’s lives in conflict and fragile settings. Revenue comprises colleagues and teams delivering government funding, marketing, account management, leadership gifts, board liaison, and corporate & foundation partnerships to support this work. Primarily these colleagues are located in the USA – but IRC plans to significantly expand its global Revenue footprint in the coming years.
Revenue is at the beginning stages of creating a new radical and ambitious strategy that will enhance IRC’s ability to ‘punch above its weight’ in income and awareness. We are building a new culture and supporting our colleagues in their efforts to deliver transformational and best in class work. At the same time – believing that the root of success lie in a high performance team and culture – we need to build our internal infrastructure – ensure we build a strong global team, the dynamic culture, forward thinking ethos, and 21st century reporting, operational and business management practices that will help it achieve its ambitious goals.
The Senior Director Supporter Recruitment will report to the VP Marketing and be part of a senior global team including Senior Director Creative & Brand & Senior Director Supporter Development. The role will build and manage a team of highly skilled marketers in global, largely digital, recruitment of donors to IRC. This team will initially consist of a Director of Analytics and three marketers, specializing in owned, earned and paid digital media and operating in a global environment (although initially strongly focused on USA as a core market) . At the heart of this operation will be a test, learn and optimise culture, driven by data-based decision making.
S/he will be an experienced global digital recruitment fundraiser, having worked in key global digital fundraising markets, including, but not exclusively: USA, Canada, UK, Japan, Germany, Australia, and the MENA region. This will involve coordination with other IRC offices (currently in the UK and the Netherlands), colleagues in Communications, Advocacy and the Field. S/he will also partner with IRC’s Operational teams (International Programs, Policy and Practice and US Programs) and with HR, Finance and IT services.
The Senior Director Supporter Recruitment will establish and build a close partnership with multiple global media agencies, maximizing IRC fundraising through owned, earned and paid digital channels across the world.
S/he will support the VP Marketing in ensuring the success of the IRC 2020 Private Sector Engagement (PSE) Strategy, specifically the key strategic driver of the PSE Strategy – Best-in-Class Global Digital.
- Lead and build a team of highly professional digital fundraisers.
- Plan and oversee, along with the VP Marketing, a country-specific (initially USA) recruitment plan and then building to a global digital recruitment plan, which delivers a positive ROI, to be set by the Senior Vice President Revenue
- Assist in the recruitment of, and then work closely with, a global digital media agency to devise and roll out a global digital fundraising recruitment strategy developed in conjunction with the VP Marketing
- Ensure that all key target markets globally receive a highly optimized experience to the point of transaction and work closely with the Supporter Development team to develop a seamless progression into stewardship and further cultivation
- Continually test and iterate recruitment and engagement (that leads to conversion) tactics across the digital mix to maximize engagement and fundraising
- Work closely with the Senior Director, Supporter Development making sure recruitment feeds long term value donors, planned giving, and major gifts pipeline.
- Support and deliver the frameworks and ways of working that create best support for high quality continual creative and digital innovation.
- Working with the creative and brand teams to ensure all recruitment materials are on brand and of the highest quality.
- Support on campaigns with Corporate brands, recent partners include: Vevo, Airbnb, Google and Game of Thrones (HBO)
- Provide regular real-time status reports on performance and suggested enhancement to
- Provide clear metrics and returns to build strong growth investment business case.
- Manage the Recruitment team with commitment, integrity and accountability to the “IRC Way” – IRC Global Standards for Professional Conduct
Education: Bachelor Degree
- 10+ years’ work experience in modern high performance global digital fundraising environments
- Understanding of the global digital fundraising marketplace with extensive experience in delivery of international digital fundraising campaigns for non-profits
- Proven ability using analytics to inform and influence decision making
Demonstrated Skill and Competencies:
- Global experience in digital recruitment in the following areas:
- Online donor recruitment, both one and two stage
- Day-to-day working with a global media agency
- Analytics set-up and monitoring
- Search and display marketing
- Social media marketing
- Sentiment tracking
- Data capture (ie online petitions)
- Creates and owns recruitment metrics and goals to determine what will move the needle
- Proven success in global digital donor recruitment
- Rigorous and critical thinker, able to ask probing clear questions and drive toward solutions quickly
- Predisposition towards simple and practical solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills, collegial and collaborative
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Experience in international contexts
- Fluent in English with preference to candidate who speaks additional languages (French, German, Arabic, Japanese, Spanish, etc.)