Job Title: Senior Director of Operations
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Mirebalais, Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Zanmi Lasante (ZL) is a Haitian organization based in Cange, Central Plateau, and Artibonite with administrative offices in Santo, Port-au-Prince. ZL is a well-known not-for-profit organization, the mission of which is to provide a preferential option to the poor in healthcare. ZL works closely with its sister organization Partners In Health (PIH), based in Boston, United States, to bring the benefits of modern medical science to those most in need of them and to serve as an antidote to despair. PIH delivers clinical services, training and research programs in 11 countries (Haiti, Peru, Russia, Rwanda, Lesotho, Malawi, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Mexico, Kazakhstan, Navajo Nation) and has a growing number of affiliated organizations and initiatives in many other countries such as Nepal, Burundi, Mali, Guatemala and Togo.
The organization works relentlessly to bring solutions to important challenges while its growing exposure is accelerating important changes in existing programs such as HIV and TB, maternal and child health, nutrition, health promotion and community health, mental health, non-communicable diseases, etc. ZL is always actively seeking new, qualified and talented individuals to join its team and further its mission.
The Senior Director of Operations will serve as a key member of Zanmi Lasante’s Senior Leadership Team and act as an advisor alongside other Senior Directors to the Interim Executive Director and Senior Leadership Team on organizational issues and strategy. The Senior Director of Operations has ultimate responsibility to implement a comprehensive strategy to markedly improve operations at all ZL-supported facilities to ensure infrastructure, supply chain, security, and transport meet clinical needs and support strengthened care at our supported facilities. This position oversees clinical and non-clinical operations across all ZL programming in Cange, Artibonite, and Central Plateau, including supply chain and pharmacy, security and transport, purchases, and facilities and environmental management. The Senior Director of Operations works closely with operations leadership to design, implement, and execute operational systems that streamline operating processes, while responsibly using organizational resources. This candidate will demonstrate thorough knowledge of procurement, supply chain, overall logistics (including warehousing and distribution), fuel and fleet management, and infrastructure and environmental management.
Organizational Strategy and Vision
- Collaborate with the Senior Leadership Team to advise on long-term strategy for the organization and ensure its translation to tactical, multi-year work plans
- Provide leadership, strategic guidance and direct oversight for strengthening organizational operational systems in supply chain, facilities, security, and transport teams, collaboration with Senior Leadership Team
- Drive harmonized operational programming and monitor team workplans, budgets, and implementation activities, in line with organizational priorities
- Design and staff operations team to accomplish operational goals across facilities and catchment areas, and train all operations leads to implement and oversee such systems ensuring accountability, transparency and overall efficiency to promote improve clinical and nonclinical services
- Identify and resolve inefficiencies in operations processes, including reviewing all current systems and documentation (I.e. manuals, policies, standard operating procedures, etc.) for each operations team and implementing processes for quality assurance, control, and compliance
- Develop and implement protocols/policies for standardizing daily operating procedures for stock management, procurement, transport, and facilities management
- Develop and maintain positive relationships and partnerships with the Ministry of Health, local government, and other public sector and non-profit organizations and community leaders.
- Work closely with the Senior Director of Finance in maintaining fluent understanding of operations components of organizational budgeting and an ensure responsible spending decisions accordingly
Security and Transport
- Supervise Manager of Security and Transport in overseeing daily security management across ZL-supported facilities to ensure implementation of safety and security policies
- Develop security guidelines and SOPs to facilitate standardized security preparedness, including establishment of internal incident tracking system for incident mapping and analysis
- Monitor the security preparedness of country staff and work with PIH to enforce staff compliance with internal security policies and SOPs
- Advise Interim Executive Director on security preparedness and policies, capturing lessons learned and recommended best practices
- Ensure efficient transport operations, including usage for management for vehicles and generators is in line with security protocols
- Oversee all fleet operations with Manager of Security and Transport, including tracking, parking, repairs, and cleanliness
Facilities and Environmental Management
- Identify overall infrastructure and biomed needs across ZL-supported facilities and work with PIH operations teams to set priorities for facility maintenance and budgeting
- Assess and recommend improvement projects in conjunction with operational and clinical teams and oversee planning and execution of infrastructure renovations and construction
- Support Manager of Facilities and Environmental Management to build the capacity of the department to manage new infrastructure renovations and projects throughout ZL-supported sites, including the supervision of external contractors
- Oversee utilities consumption (electricity, water, fuel and medical gas) and performance across ZL-supported facilities, and manage processes to improve efficiencies and quality of facilities to ensure highest performance
- Oversee environmental plans for the facilities, including effective waste and disposal practices, energy efficiency, etc.
Supply Chain, Pharmacy & Purchases
- Assess, develop, and recommend procurement standards for enhanced supply chain strategy
- Support Director of Supply Chain to create and manage systems to ensure an efficient supply chain system that minimizes stock outs and waste and transparent procurement systems
- Oversee selection of local and international procurement of equipment, capital items, and imported goods
- Provide final approval and oversight for large annual purchases, alongside the Coordination Site operations and clinical team, including international procurement
- Over five years of managing operations for a large organization, preferably in international projects, with demonstrated increasing responsibility.
- Extensive experience in a senior facilities management role at a large and complex facility, such as a major hospital; college campus; municipal facility; manufacturing plant; etc. and/or healthcare construction and engineering
- Strong written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and problem-solving abilities
- Willingness to travel to remote parts of the district with limited degree of infrastructure development
- Exemplary interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate effectively with culturally diverse staff across departments and country
- Willingness to live and work full-time in a rural setting
- Ability to communicate with diverse groups, maintain strict confidentiality, meet deadlines and schedules, set priorities, and work with detailed information/data
- Ability to work well in a dynamic team environment alongside health workers, senior management team, support staff, and patients
Partners In Health (PIH) is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of PIH not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. PIH works in and with a number of governments in and outside the U.S., and to the extent applicable, this statement is intended to incorporate the prohibition of any unlawful discrimination covered by applicable laws in such countries, states and municipalities.