International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over two hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) across many sectors including, but not limited to, crisis, conflict and governance; agriculture, food security and resilience; economic growth, education, and environment; and global health.
Job Title: Senior Director MERL – Global Health Practice
Department/Location: Global Health
Reports To: VP, Technical Services or designee
Type: Regular Full-Time
Classification: This is a managerial, exempt level position
IBTCI is seeking an experienced and motivated Senior Director Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL), to support its work in Global Health (GH) Practice. The GH portfolio is focused on research, evaluation, capacity building, and knowledge management to ensure study results are utilized programmers and policy makers. This position will be based in our Headquarters in Vienna, Virginia. (Practice assignment and office location within WDC metro area could change based on market demand and company discretion).
Please note this is a six-month position
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
Program Management responsibilities include, but not limited to:
Under the oversight of the Vice President, Technical Services or his/her designee:
- Accountable and responsible for project implementation, management, and quality control activities of assigned projects while ensuring highest level of client and corporate satisfaction as per quality, timeliness, cost control, compliance and management.
- Serve in home office based roles such as Project Director and/ or Quality Control Officer.
- Assume interim role (to fill temporary gaps) of team leadership/ key positon on overseas projects.
- Responsible for all aspects of the project management cycle, including from start-up to close-out, including:
- Serve as primary US-based point-of-contact for directly managed projects.
- Management of project staff (Supervise staff in the home and field offices, including directors, chiefs of parties, senior technical specialists, etc.).
- Manage relationships with U.S. and internationally-based consultants and sub-contractors. (Facilitate development of personnel and sub-contractor contracts and agreements).
- Prepare, or assist in the development of scopes of work (SOW) for personnel, subcontractors, and activities.
- Manage quality control activities on work products submitted by staff and consultants.
- Oversee staff and consultant recruitment for existing projects
- LOE and budget tracking/adjustments. (Responsible/ co-responsible for budget development and management for contracts).
- Project communications (external and internal).
- Overall project oversight that may include periodic visits to the field.
- Management of practice IDIQs, projects and task orders.
- Overall strategic oversight for contract implementation including overseeing technical, logistical and operational aspects of contracts.
Technical responsibilities include, but not limited to:
Collaborate with the VP Technical Services or designee(s) to provide thought leadership in technical inputs and training activities:
Ensure technical soundness of contractual deliverables to the highest level of client and corporate satisfaction:
- Oversight responsibility for the technical soundness of all contractual deliverables and ensuring the quality of the final output of projects under his/her direct management.
- Provide quality assurance technical reviews of key contractual deliverables and ensuring the quality of the final output of project within his/ her portfolio.
- Play a leadership role in helping teams find the best option to execute the technical work.
- To this end, this position is expected to offer creative and technically sound solutions early in the planning stages of projects and subsequently working as an integrated member of a multi-disciplinary team to engage project challenges with the end-goal of owning responsive and compliant execution.
- Serve as a senior technical expert in multiple capacities/roles including:
- Assist in reviewing, amending, and authoring reports from a technical perspective in order to ensure top quality deliverables
- Provide qualitative and/or quantitative analysis in support of ongoing projects/evaluations;
- Program evaluations, assessments and related sector or policy studies;
- Lead or provide assistance in the design of performance management systems and evaluation frameworks, methodologies and tools;
- Serve as Short Term Technical Assistance Expert on prime and subcontract awards.
- Provide MERL and/ or CCG training and other specialized services as required.
Business Development (BD) responsibilities include, but not limited to:
In consultation with the VP Technical Services and Head of BD or their designee(s), responsible for but not but not limited to the following BD activities:
- Develop and follow-through with, practice/ sub-practice strategic and business plans.
- Proactive BD, marketing and teaming, including identification, initiation and follow-through on new BD opportunities.
- Responsible for individual and practice/ sub-practice business development and growth targets.
- Oversight of practice staff working on business development efforts.
- Primary focus on practice/ sub-practices areas but also ranging into cross-practice initiatives.
- Serve in roles such as lead writer and/ or technical lead on proposals and request for information.
- Lead and/or provide overall contributions to the technical approaches of proposals including, but not limited to, appropriate and innovative conceptual frameworks and methodologies. (These contribution should produce well-coordinated and compelling proposals, which not only address stated needs, but also clearly articulate fundamental challenges and risk mitigation strategies).
- Undertake bid/no-bid vetting, teaming, recruitment, and proposal management (on smaller practice bids), to include all support activities through to timely submission of high quality offers.
- Represent IBTCI at BD related meetings with clients, partners and consultants.
Additional Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Represent IBTCI in industry conference and workshops.
- Lead technical presentations at international conferences, workshops, and symposia.
- Author white papers, reports, or briefs to promote IBTCI intellectual prowess in its product and services
- Provide in-house training to home and field staff on MERL methodologies or sector-related subject matter.
- In consultation with Vice President, Technical Services or designee(s), to stay informed on industry market trends, best practices and state-of-the-art developments, and share with IBTCI Principals and staff to ensure that the firm remains in the forefront of MERL and GH issues in international development.
- Attend corporate meetings and contribute to strategic and business plans as needed.
- Travel is essential, and may include travel to fragile and conflict-affected areas. An average of 25% to 35% travel for IBTCI initiatives. (Percentages may vary depending on portfolio of projects and IBTCI practice needs).
- Other duties/tasks as assigned.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in strategic planning and business planning.
- Experience in managing and supervising a team of Project Directors who are responsible for managing projects of scale (over $10 million dollars).
- Management of a variety of contractual mechanisms.
- Management of multiple projects in a variety of settings simultaneously.
- Experience designing, implementing and managing Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning projects for international development clients.
- In-depth expertise in at least one of the MERL-related activities such as performance monitoring, evaluation study design, sampling, qualitative and quantitative analysis, instrument design, field survey management and authoring reports.
- Demonstrated experience in global health in low to middle income countries
- Experience in one of the following sub-sectors: WASH (Water Sanitation, and Hygiene), nutrition, pandemic Threats.
- Experience in all aspects of the business proposal process: capture strategy management; teaming/partnering; research; recruitment; writing; red-teaming; technical inputs for costing, etc.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) required.
- Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to work with all levels of the organization.
- Overseas experience working in international development. Experience working with USAID is highly desirable.
- Experience with non-USG international development clients is a plus.
- Ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Demonstrable results oriented, flexible and problem solving skills.
- Progressively senior management positions including:
- Eight (8) Years of experience in monitoring, evaluation, research and/or Learning (MERL), experience.
- Ten (10) years of managing projects and senior staff, including (5) years from the home office / headquarters, inclusive of portfolio project management experience.
- Fifteen (15) years of work experience across one of the Practice Areas of IBTCI, preferably in foreign assistance programs.
- Fluency in the English language is required and a working competence in another language, in particular Arabic or French, is highly desired.
- Master’s degree or the equivalent advanced degree in International Affairs, International Development, Policy Analysis, Economics, Public Administration, Business Administration, Statistics/Social Research, Health, Agriculture or related fields.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibility: CoP(s)/ Team Leader(s), Director(s), Manager(s) and Associate(s) may report to this position.
Travel: Travel is essential, and may include travel to fragile and conflict-affected areas. An average of 25% to 35% travel for IBTCI initiatives. (Percentages may vary depending on portfolio of projects and IBTCI practice needs). An average of 25% to 35% travel for project implementation and/or project management of business development initiatives. (Percentages may vary depending on portfolio of projects and IBTCI practice needs).
Work Authorization: Must be authorized to work in the USA.
No phone calls please. All candidates will be acknowledged, but only final candidates for particular activities will be contacted.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment.