Department: Global Development
Reports to: Director of Development- Europe
Term & LOE: Full-time; 100%
Salary range: Band C4 – £41,571 plus benefits
Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly launched hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped our partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
Internews is a non-profit organisation operating internationally, with administrative centres in California, Washington DC, London and Paris as well as regional hubs in Bangkok, Kiev and Nairobi. Formed in 1982, Internews currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
Internews is is looking for an experienced business development expert to lead the development of commercial tenders and complex grant proposals to fund the delivery of our ambitious new 5-year Strategy.
The Senior Development Coordinator, working under the supervision of the Director of Development, will identify and pursue new development opportunities among European institutional donors, with a particular focus on the international development sectors of democracy, rights and governance, health, humanitarian response, gender and environment/climate change, and their intersection with the media and information landscape in developing countries. The position is responsible for representation with partners and donors working in these sectors, overseeing the development of concept notes and proposals, as well as carrying out program design work. The position is also responsible for strategizing for the refunding of existing programming in these sectors. To fund the delivery of Internews’ new 5-year strategy we are specifically looking for candidates who will bring creativity, innovation and proactivity in order to secure new channels of funding, strengthen internal process and build the business development capacity across the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Working in collaboration with others, represent Internews with donors and partners
- Carry out field assessments in anticipation of upcoming business development opportunities
- Provide writing guides, outlines for proposals and concept notes
- Lead proposal design using Internews tools to support strong program design, including logical frameworks, worksheets and other tools as appropriate.
- Lead proposal design teams in selecting win themes, identifying best practices and making key partnering decisions
- Write and edit proposals following donor guidelines and in line with Internews’ internal processes and standards
- Build partnerships with agencies, implementers and funders, establishing Internews as a project implementer in these sectors.
- Position Internews as a possible sub-grantee in proposal applications; member of relevant consortia.
- Lead writer and proposal manager for larger and more strategic proposals working with relevant Regional Directors, or Country Directors on strategy and budgeting.
- Build relationships with community stakeholders to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 4+ years of experience in international development, health, media, and/or nonprofit fields – and at least 2 years of experience working abroad an asset.
- At least 3+plus years of solid business development and/or fundraising experience within the non-profit sector
- Strong proposal writing experience –proposal work with DFID and other European institutional donors preferred.
- Proven track record of successful business development efforts
- Excellent critical thinking, writing, communications skills
- Ability to work with different teams and in different cultures
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, with the ability to maintain calm and productive working relationships during stressful proposal processes.
- Strong sense of humour and sense of fun a bonus.
- Team player
- Ability to manage multiple, ongoing obligations and assignments
- Full proficiency in English required; French, Dutch, German, Russian are a bonus.
- Skilled in MS Office and Excel
Closing date for applications: 03 February 2020
Candidates must submit a succinct covering letter of no more than 2-pages explaining how they satisfy the requirements of the person speciation in addition to a CV highlighting relevant experience. The successful candidate will also be asked to provide three professional referees, one of whom must be from their most recent employer.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, all the tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the job holder a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position .
This position will be located in the United Kingdom and therefore a successful applicant must obtain the Right to Work in the UK in order to commence their employment