With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Senior Counsel, Transportation & Equity
The Senior Counsel will develop and implement strategies on complex legal and policies matters to reduce climate and health harming pollution and to enhance equity, with a focus on the transportation sector. The Senior Counsel will work with a team of EDF attorneys, legal fellows, interns and other experts, partnering with colleagues across EDF and at other organizations to enhance key team priorities, including DEIJ and environmental justice efforts. The Senior Counsel will develop and manage strategic relationships with community groups, federal and state regulators, and the private sector. The Senior Counsel will also draft fundraising materials and donor reports and engage with the media to build support for public health and environmental protections.
- Develop and lead strategies to secure and defend equitable protections against climate and health-harming pollution.
- Represent EDF in litigation to secure and defend protections against climate and health-harming pollution.
- Lead EDF’s engagement with community groups to identify, develop, and support equitable policies to reduce pollution, with a focus on the transportation sector.
- Strengthen progress on DEIJ and environmental justice.
- Assist in managing a team made up of legal fellows, other experts, and legal interns and externs to coordinate progress on legal and administrative priorities.
- Assist in managing external consultants performing legal and technical analysis in support of the team’s objectives.
- Facilitate the team’s partnerships with other NGOs on key legal and technical matters.
- Prepare press materials and engage with the media to build support for policies among the general public and target audiences.
- Draft and contribute to fundraising materials, outreach to members, and donor reports.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Law degree
- Active Bar membership.
- At least 10 years professional experience in the practice area and a history of achieving policy reforms through litigation, administrative advocacy, and legislative efforts.
- Demonstrated expertise in the Clean Air Act and administrative law.
- Strong commitment and demonstrated ability to enhance the team’s and EDF’s DEIJ and environmental justice efforts, including experience working in diverse partnerships.
- Ability to represent EDF in litigation, before senior government officials, and in external partnerships.
- Experience and interest in managing and mentoring law students and early-career attorneys.
- Excellent legal research and analytical skills and ability to convey complex ideas in written and oral communication.
- Results-oriented self-starter with ability to work on fast-paced, deadline-driven, dynamic issues.
- Ability to adapt plans and strategies in response to new events and information.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.