PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
PATH is known throughout the world for its successful public-private partnerships. Succeeding at these partnerships requires lawyers who are passionate, creative, pragmatic, savvy, smart and possess excellent judgment.
The mission of the Legal Affairs Division is to support PATH’s mission by (1) collaborating with clients to provide strategic, best-practice, efficient legal counsel and education, including transactional and other legal support, and (2) providing overall guidance to enhance legal compliance and minimize risk, all with the utmost integrity.
PATH’s Legal Affairs Division is looking for a senior-level transactional attorney with life sciences and/or technology product development experience. This individual will work closely with program teams who manage the development of devices, vaccines and other essential medicines and who collaborate with private and public sector organizations to implement healthcare technologies and enhance public health systems. This individual will join a dedicated team of 6 attorneys, 5 paralegals and 3 paralegal assistants and will report to the General Counsel.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Act as primary legal contact for assigned program portfolios, providing pragmatic legal counsel and advice regarding transactional structures, intellectual property matters and risk assessments.
- Work with program teams to establish strong and effective partnerships to support PATH’s mission.
- Draft product development partnership agreements supporting device, vaccine and other essential medicines development and commercialization, e.g., collaborative research and development agreements, clinical study agreements, manufacturing and commercialization agreements and other technology supportive third-party agreements.
- Draft collaboration agreements with public and private sector partners, multilateral organizations and academic institutions to facilitate development and enhancement of public health systems and strategies, including qualitative, observational and surveillance research and data management and analysis.
- Team with project leaders and commercialization officers to negotiate agreement terms, ensuring compliance while enabling innovation.
- Assess client legal support needs and ensure timely and effective legal services, including partnering with legal professional staff.
- Manage outside counsel in coordination with General Counsel.