Job Title: Senior Cost & Pricing Officer
Department: Corporate Budget and Cost & Pricing
Location: Nairobi, Kenya or Washington, DC or Remote (US Only)
% International Travel: As needed
Reports To: Senior Manager, Cost & Pricing
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI seeks a Senior Cost & Pricing Officer to lead cost and pricing strategies and risk analysis for new bids and proposals and lead the budget development process for bids and proposals in coordination with headquarters-based programmatic and New Business Development (NBD) teams and overseas field teams. The successful candidate will ensure full recovery of direct and indirect costs in budget presentations to funders, align budget and budget narrative templates with funder requirements and PSI policies and procedures, and support realignment of existing project budgets as needed. The Senior Cost & Pricing Officer will be familiar with budget development for various types of funders in the field of international development.
This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya or Washington, DC or may telework from anywhere within the USA. The Senior Cost & Pricing Officer will report to the Senior Manager, Cost & Pricing.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Review funder solicitations and research additional financial guidance as needed to analyze and fully understand cost proposal requirements for new bids and proposals; prepare questions to submit to funders if further clarification is needed; and develop or modify existing budget and budget narrative templates to align with solicitation requirements.
- Communicate budget issues or concerns with solicitation requirements to internal stakeholders, such as Finance, programmatic teams, Grants & Contracts, and NBD, for timely discussion and appropriate mitigation.
- Analyze financial and cost recovery risks and recommend mitigation strategies; and perform surplus-deficit analyses on proposal budgets.
- Review, or lead as assigned, new proposal and project realignment budgets and budget narratives to ensure quality, compliance with funder and PSI requirements, and full cost recovery.
- Provide guidance in the development of cost-related responses to post submission questions and award budget negotiations.
- Train non-C&P staff on various cost and pricing topics and full budget and budget narrative development.
- Periodically update funder specific budget and budget narrative templates and associated training materials.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Measurement: Evidence, research, metrics, and evaluation inform our choices.
Pragmatism: We strive for excellence, but useful and timely are better than perfect.
Honesty: We act with integrity, share what we achieve, and admit when we fail.
Collaboration: Active partnering drives impact.
Trust: We have confidence in our people to make good decisions.
Commitment: We build local capacity and programs that last.
- A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline and eight (8) years of work experience in a similar role or relevant budget development role.
- Experience developing proposal budgets for a variety of government and non-government funders in the field of international development.
- Strong computer skills and advanced ability working with MS-Excel and MS-Word.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communications skills.
- Flexibility to assume a workload that often necessitates an adjustment of priorities.
- References will be required.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the location of employment. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
- The successful candidate wil be rquired to pass a background check.
What would get us excited?
- You have experience developing cost proposals for USAID and PSI’s other major funders, such as DFID, Gates Foundation, the Global Fund, and KfW.
- You have French and/or Spanish language skills.
- You have experience preparing and presenting in-house training sessions. The C&P team presents trainings several times a year on various budgeting topics.
- Need to be able to work well in a team environment and support team members by balancing the workload.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202)785-0072.