With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Political Affairs department leads EDF’s efforts to achieve our policy goals through the legislative, regulatory and political systems at the federal, state and local level. Our lobbyists, communicators, organizers and experts work to achieve progress on environmental issues through the democratic process.
The Senior Communications Specialist will report to the Communications Manager for Political Affairs and work as part as the Political Affairs communications team, helping to achieve EDF’s policy objectives. The Senior Communications Specialist will often play the role of a generalist utilizing their skill set in social media, writing, editing, communications support, media tracking and other key communications tasks. This role will support project management on a variety of communication campaigns including coordinating with EDF’s Marketing and Communications Team, Political Affairs staff, partners, and external vendors. The Senior Communications Specialist’s goal will be to help the communications team do its work efficiently and effectively, contributing to the work of developing and implementing a message that supports EDF’s mission.
- Execute a strong social media strategy on multiple platforms to support the policy goals of the Political Affairs team.
- Track and analyze EDF media clips on existing platforms, including Cision, and other means, in order to ensure we are responding to political opportunities and threats.
- Design basic graphics for use in social media and other materials.
- Draft press releases, fact sheets, blogs, social content and other materials.
- Research climate, energy, legislative and related issues as needed for communications efforts.
- Support communication requests from the EDF legislative, field and state-based teams.
- Help to maintain electronic files, including media lists, press clips, collateral, etc.
- Execute offline and online strategic communications plans for campaign and program activities and for targeted branding efforts in key states.
- Respond to breaking news and legislative events using social media, press releases, and other means.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF’s values.
- Manage vendors and collaborate with coalition partners.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communication, marketing or relevant field.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience developing, managing, and executing communications strategies preferably in the advocacy context.
- Strong social media skills and experience including knowledge of social media platforms and tools.
- Excellent writing, proofing, and editing skills with the ability to translate complex policy ideas for a variety of audiences.
- Background or strong knowledge of climate and energy issues and their political context.
- Practical, real-world experience in environmental media and communications, political, legislative or advocacy areas.
- Experience working on local and/or statewide press outreach a plus.
- Basic graphic and web design and video editing experience a plus.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Experience managing contractors (i.e. Web and graphic designers, communications consultants, etc.).
- Ability to adapt to frequent change and prioritize multiple tasks effectively under deadline pressure.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Interest in environment advocacy is preferred.
- Familiarity with cutting-edge communication technologies preferred (i.e., Vocus, etc.).
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.