Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
This position reports to the Senior Director of Communications, EDF +Business, and will help develop and implement strategies that draw attention to our issues and engage target audiences in our work, with a focus on corporate policy advocacy, media relations, and thought leadership. Using expert marketing, PR and content experience to develop and execute strategies and tactical communications plans for EDF’s projects, partnerships, websites, content development and other activities. The Senior Communications Manager will play a significant role ensuring the success of this work and EDF’s broader work with business.
As a leader on the EDF +Business Marketing and Communications team, the position’s responsibilities will include:
- Develop and execute communications strategies; work collaboratively with communications counterparts across EDF and with external PR agencies and/or other contractors to deliver on those strategies.
- Translate complex, technical subject matter into clear, concise language that resonates with and helps drive desired behavior by audiences.
- Keep a close pulse on the sustainability movement and hook our story ideas to topics of interest.
- Pitch/place EDF experts for influential publications and speaking opportunities to reach decision makers, including print and digital media, events, conferences, and podcasts.
- Communicating with target audiences in timely, relevant, and compelling ways, focusing on priority issues for our audiences.
- Raising the profile of the EDF +Business team’s experts with our target audiences, donors, and influencers, positioning EDF as a go-to organization for environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues, and helping EDF to stand out in a crowded field.
- Mentoring junior staff and coordinating/collaborating with program and communications experts across EDF, especially on the Corporate Policy team.
- Ensuring exceptional operations for the communications team and our work through effective management of meetings, budgets, and contracts.
- Build relationships with external parties that increase dissemination of EDF content through existing platforms, coalitions, and channels.
- Develop compelling content such as blogs, digital/social media, reporter memos, infographics, etc.
- Deploy a data driven approach to assess impact, learn from successes and failures, and continuously improve effectiveness of marketing and communications efforts.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEIJ goals, in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 8 years of communications experience is essential, preferably in an agency, large corporation or NGO.
- Minimum 8 years of experience in managing projects, staff and outside agencies.
- Proven ability to create, implement and report out on holistic marketing campaigns, encompassing PR, digital and content marketing, direct marketing, social media, event marketing and speaking engagements.
- Demonstrable, hands-on experience with media outreach, social media, messaging and content creation, and audience segmentation.
- Expert writing and editing skills.
- Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and background.
- Demonstrable success in cultivating media interest.
- The ability to lead, manage and mentor staff and cross-functional teams.
- Independent problem-solving and crisis communications skills.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Excellent project, time management and organizational skills.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive
salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities
consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 97,000 –
which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills,
training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.