Department: Violence Prevention and Response
Location: Yumbe settlements (Zone I, II and III)
Job Overview/Summary: The Senior Communication Officer will be responsible for providing direct support for the implementation of the activities related to communication Boda Boda Talk Talk (BBTT), including messaging development, coordination with internal and external stakeholders and development of a relevant communication covering all zones of Bidibidi settlement. This will include capacity building and day-to-day supervision and support of the BBTT team. The Senior Communication Officer will also coordinate the activities of the communication officers, volunteers and BBTT drivers in the field, providing information materials and constantly monitoring and improving this pilot activity, in addition to ensuring that the activities of the BBTT communication team link to the other broader Protection and Rule of Law program.
Major Responsibilities (not exhaustive):
- Manage, support and coach the BBTT communication team mainly the communication officers
- Coordinate the activities of the BBTT team through close supervision, follow up and daily meetings
- Coordinate closely with the Legal Officer, Protection officers and Community Engagement Officers/ Managers and other internal and external stakeholders to make sure the communication team is provided with updated information about available services to refugees and ongoing or upcoming events in the settlements;
- Act as a focal point for receiving and following up on overall messaging needs from partners in the settlement and ensure quality and relevance of messaging for the refugee community
- Develop and implement an awareness strategy according to identified needs from the refugee community
- Support the M&E team for communication data collection (quantitative and qualitative)
- Handle all admin and finance matters related to the BBTT communication team;
- Monitor and evaluate the work of the BBTT team
- Perform other duties, as needed or requested by the supervisor.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Protection Coordinator
Position directly supervises: BBTT Communication volunteers and Boda Boda TT drivers
Indirect Reporting: NA
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Community Engagement Officers, protection officers, Legal Officer, WPE team
External: UNHCR and other relevant actors.
Completion of a Bachelor Degree in journalism, social sciences or communication
At least two years of prior professional experience in a similar post, preferably with an international organization focused on communication/ journalism.
Good protection background and knowledge of refugee context.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Strong management and organizational skills.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Flexible and able to work in a dynamic and diverse environment.
- Must be computer literate (Microsoft Word, Excel and audacity/recording software).
Excellent drafting and oral communication skills in English.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. International allowances are not available, position open to Ugandan Nationals only. _________________________________________________________________________________
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Whilst all applications will be assessed strictly on their individual merits, qualified women are especially encouraged to apply. IRC is an equal opportunity Employer.