About the Opportunity
Under the supervision of the TLU (Technical Leadership Unit) Senior Vice President, the Senior Business Officer’s primary responsibility is monitoring, supporting and analyzing the project portfolio’s financial performance and operations. In addition, the Senior Business Officer provides high-level administrative support to all the program teams within the Technical Leadership Unit, and innovative thinking to advance financial/admin approaches, such as labor planning, and tracking revenue diversification.
Currently, all Internews offices are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and Internews staff are working remotely until at least 1 July 2021. The ideal candidate for this role will be based in the DC area and able to come to the downtown DC office once it reopens. However, this position will function remotely and all remote candidates will be considered.
Our Commitment to Fostering a Culture of Belonging
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents, and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Key Responsibilities include the following:
Corporate – 50%
- Provides regular reports and analysis to management, including advanced financial analysis and reporting utilizing ERP system.
- Works closely with budgeting staff and business development to produce quarterly reviews of the financial health of the portfolio, and its contributions to technical diversification within the organization.
- Serves as TLU contact for Business Administration Departments, such as Grants & Contracts/Accounting/HR, to resolve transactional business process issues and region-specific support issues.
- Assists SVP in facilitating monthly operational review meetings and project review meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Provides analytical/financial support to SVP, and all thematic team leads (Health, Environment, Media Business, etc.).
- Prepares departmental and program budgets, projections and financial reports, across both Internews US and Internews Europe.
- Develops and manages systems for labor analysis and tracking of staff charging across multiple budgets.
- Drafts proposal budgets and budget narratives for new and existing projects and modifications of current budgets, across both Internews US and Internews Europe.
- Works in close collaboration with regional teams and business development to draft budget components of projects which include technical expertise of the TLU. Tracks and monitors these components after project award.
- Supports SVP/Project Directors in start-up phases of new projects including launch and admin and operations systems-building in the field.
- Oversees the financial and compliance of TLU sub-grants and contracts and provides direct management in the absence of in-country staff.
- Works closely with project accountants in the field during project development/handover-to-field, provides training and orientation as needed.
- Supports and provides oversight for financial and admin requirements for Rapid Response Fund administration, small grants and other approaches for disbursing money to partners or members of our health and environmental journalism networks.
- Works collaboratively and proactively with Media Business team to build required financial processes/systems associated with revenue generation for partner media outlets.
- Other duties as assigned.
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
- Relevant university degree required
- At least 5 years’ experience with non-profit project and portfolio management as well as developing or supporting USAID funded programs
- Experience with financial analysis, accounting, bookkeeping and financial management
- Budget development experience
- Familiarity with Internews finance and admin systems a significant asset
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing and listening
- Proven ability to set priorities and manage time effectively
- Proven analytical and problem-solving ability
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple on-going assignments
- Proficient in MS Office, Excel, and budget analysis
- Familiarity with ERP systems, SalesForce, and other platforms/databases.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.