Location: London preferred, remote working arrangements will be considered. Position is currently work from home due to COVID-19. Internet access at home required. Some international travel may be required once deemed safe by Internews’ Security Department. For now, no travel is expected due to COVID-19.
Duration: Permanent subject to 6-month probationary period
Line manager: Vice President – Global Development
Department: Global Development
Term & LOE: Full-time, 100%
Salary range: Band D: £54,540 – £61,358 (D3 – D5) plus benefits
Internews is an international non-profit organisation whose mission is to empower local information providers worldwide to give people the news and information they need, the ability to connect and the means to make their voices heard.
Internews provides communities the resources to produce local news and information with integrity and independence. With global expertise and reach, Internews trains both media professionals and citizen journalists, supports business development strategies for the sector and helps establish policies needed for open access to information. Internews programmes create platforms for dialogue and enable informed debate, which bring about social and economic progress.
Internews’ commitment to research and evaluation creates effective and sustainable programs, even in the most challenging environments. Internews operates internationally, with administrative centres in Arcata, California; Washington DC; and London, UK; as well as regional hubs in Bangkok and Nairobi.
Formed in 1982, Internews has worked in more than 90 countries, and currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
Our commitment to a culture of belonging
Internews is passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams, and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, the self-taught, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and actively welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
About the role
A very exciting opportunity has arisen to manage our institutional fundraising pipeline in Europe donors as our Senior Business Development Manager – Europe.
We are looking for a dynamic and international fundraising specialist with a detailed eye for process and ability to work across teams to manage our business development pipeline from European donors and support the organization in raising upwards 18,000,000 GBP annually through overseeing the submission of over 30+ proposal submissions per year on behalf of the organization. The Senior Business Development Manager plays a key role in delivering Internews’ new 5-year strategic plan, which envisions continued growth in the European market.
The Senior Business Development Manager is part of the global Internews’ Business Development team, reporting to the Vice President – Global Development, and working closely with regional and thematic teams worldwide to identify new funding opportunities from institutional donors such as the European Commission. The Senior Business Development Manager will directly supervise a Development Officer based in London and be responsible for managing the full proposal development and submission process for all funding opportunities originating in Europe.
This includes supporting the Senior Management Team of Internews Europe to identify funding opportunities from a diverse base of European donors, including the European Commission, DFID, SIDA, Norway and others. The Senior Business Development Manager continually works with programme staff around the world to jointly identify new fundraising opportunities, manage proposal development processes and to originate new strategic programme concepts for future fundraising.
Roles and Responsibilities Business Development (100%)
- Overall responsibility for managing the programme fundraising pipeline in Europe. This includes:
- Identification of new opportunities (working in close consultation with program management teams, and the Senior Director of Outreach for IEU)
- Host “go-no go” and kick off meetings for proposals and concept notes
- Manage proposal development process for IEU, working closely with regional program teams, Monitoring and Evaluation, thematic technical experts to develop and submit high quality project technical proposals and concept notes; and liaising with Grants, Contracts & Compliance and other teams to ensure accurate budget development
- Work with the Internews Europe Senior Management Team to develop new business opportunities with bilateral and multilateral European donors. This may include the development of communication materials, concept notes, proposals, and representation of Internews in person, as required.
- Review and analyse key donor solicitations and help determine potential strategy for application, in consultation with Internews program staff.
- Position Internews as a possible sub-grantee in proposal applications; member of relevant consortia. Develop standing MoUs as appropriate with key partners. Working in close consultation with Program and Technical leads, serve as the primary point of contact for European primes, working in close collaboration with designated proposal managers. Establish warm relationships with key primes whenever possible.
- Supervise the management of proposal writing consultants; support, as required, for programme staff with delegated responsibility to write and/or manage proposals as required.
- Ensure consistent and smooth handover of new grants to contracting and programme teams.
- Through supervision of his/or her team (currently one staff member, with possibility of expansion pending future pipeline), maintain an up to date Salesforce database of information on Internews’ opportunities with European donors, as well as interactions with promising targeted donors to prepare technical and programmatic leads who are due to meet with funders.
- As required, participate in field studies and business development assessments to assist in the design of new programming as appropriate and in close collaboration with program support departments.
- Directly supervise European business development unit staff, including supporting them in timely monitoring of calls for proposals from all European bilateral and multilateral donors.
- Serve as the main representative for Internews on centrally funded and/or global mechanisms that Internews participates in. Develop relationships to advance Internews’ inclusion on other promising centrally-funded and/or global mechanisms with European public sector donors as required and in line with regional and/or technical strategic plans.
- At least 7+ years’ experience in international development, media, and/or non-profit fields, with at least 5 years business development experience
- Demonstrable track record in managing business development processes to secure multi-year, multi-million, public sector funds from development donors in Europe
- Detailed working knowledge of overseas development assistance funders in Europe, especially the European Commission
- Outstanding, persuasive writing skills and demonstrable ability to manage complex proposal review processes, with proven ability to set priorities and manage time effectively and analytical and problem-solving ability
- Experience managing diverse and talented teams
- Excellent organisational, interpersonal and communication skills, including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate, as well as the ability to remain calm under pressure
- Excellent networking and stakeholder development skills
- Proficient written and spoken French language skills are desired, however exceptional candidates without this attribute will still be considered
- Computer literate with advanced abilities in Microsoft Teams, Word, Adobe, PowerPoint and Excel required.
- Applicants must have the EXISTING legal right to work and reside in the UK or European Union states
- The proven ability, or overwhelming desire, to work in a multicultural environment requiring coordination across multiple time zones
- Attention to detail, with a focus on complying with donor solicitation requirements
- A keen interest in international affairs and development; especially media, journalism, press freedom
- An established international network with Internews’ targeted European donors and/or key priority partners
- Prior experience with Salesforce
- External communications experience
- Closing date for applications: 02 October 2020
Candidates must submit a succinct covering letter of no more than 2-pages explaining how they satisfy the requirements of the person speciation in addition to a CV highlighting relevant experience. The successful candidate will also be asked to provide three professional referees, one of whom must be from their most recent employer. Additionally, a writing test will be administered to all highly ranked candidates.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, all the tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the job holder a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.
This position will be located in the United Kingdom and therefore a successful applicant must obtain the Right to Work in the UK in order to commence their employment