Job title: Senior Associate Program Manager, MaverickNext
Department: Corporate Partnerships & Philanthropy
Based in Washington, DC
Up to 15% international travel
Reports to the Managing Director, MaverickNext (Deputy Director, CPP)
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
The Corporate Partnerships and Philanthropy (CPP) team is on the cutting edge of PSI’s mission to reimagine healthcare for girls and women. We harness the power of private resources and partnerships to drive innovation. MaverickNext is a new initiative of Maverick Collective, CPP’s philanthropy division.
MaverickNext is a “philanthropy accelerator” next generation women philanthropists who are passionate about girls’ and women’s health, and in becoming bold and creative advocates for change. MaverickNext acts as a unique fundraising engine for PSI, as well as a donor education program to support young philanthropists in becoming informed advocates and strategic investors in women and girls’ health.
MaverickNext philanthropists are brought together in “impact circles”, co-invest in a PSI program accelerating young women’s health, and engage in a deep learning journey that builds their knowledge, skills, opportunities and potential. MaverickNext is a start-up enterprise at PSI, still in incubation stage, with a plan for reaching scale in the next 1-2 years. We therefore seek proactive and dynamic thought-partner, who is great at getting stuff done.
Working closely with the Managing Director, the Sr. Associate Program Manager will have critical responsibilities across all four programmatic areas of MaverickNext: strategy and impact; learning journey; promotion and donor cultivation; and operations.
As a valuable contributor to an innovative and growing program, this person will have many opportunities for advancement.
Sound like you? Read on.
Strategy & Impact (10%)
Our strategy and impact goals include a) catalyzing innovation for PSI through MaverickNext investments and b) building a strategic and sustainable fundraising engine that can manage increasingly complex initiatives. You will:
- Maintain a high-level understanding of PSI’s strategic priorities and identify linkages where MaverickNext can support these priorities (particularly in adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive health)
- Oversee project selection and internal engagement (e.g. of a cross-department design team and technical capacity-building teams) in program design and delivery
- Take on the challenge of program monitoring, evaluation and knowledge management
- Support the Managing Director with creating and implementing a business case and long-term programmatic vision for MaverickNext
Learning Journey (45%)
The learning journey is all about customer experience. This program area is defined by relationship management and oversight of donors’ engagement and learning experience. You will:
- With the Managing Director, design and deliver the learning journey (e.g. manage the planning, logistics and delivery of retreats, conference attendance, speaking opportunities, and mentoring)
- Build positive and collaborative relationships with donors — individually and through impact circles – for planning, follow-up, assignment completion and overall support as a mentor and ally
- Plan and accompany each impact circle to the field (approximately 2 international trips per calendar year)
Promotion and Donor Cultivation (10%)
The goals of promotion and donor cultivation are to a) recruit new donors for future impact circles and b) position MaverickNext as a thought-leader and credible/valuable opportunity in next generation philanthropy. You will:
- Conduct proactive sales research to identify new networks, families and speaking and partnership platforms in order to develop new pipelines of prospects and prospect families for long-term engagement
- In partnership with the Managing Director and Sales team, cultivate new relationships with prospects, connectors, prospective partners (e.g. banks, family office networks, community foundations, social impact financing groups, etc.)
- In collaboration with the Sales and External Relations and Communications teams, develop new sales collateral and website content.
Program operations includes project management, budget oversight, and reporting. You will:
- Oversee planning, logistics, and budgeting for the learning journey (including field trips, retreats, conference attendance, consultants, etc.)
- Develop fluency in the projects, review regular reports, attend bi-annual calls between the field and impact circles, liaise with the relevant backstopping and technical teams to ensure smooth collaboration and clear roles/responsibilities.
- Work with country teams to manage reporting (both financial and narrative)
- With the Managing Director, engage in ongoing communication with donors about project progress and setbacks
- Work with the PSI finance teams to oversee and report on the MaverickNext operating budget
- Any other job duties as required
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt
Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin
- You have at least 5 years of experience in managing innovative initiatives with donors or investors (individuals or institutions) in the global development field
- You have a successful track record managing a portfolio of individual donors or accounts
- You have a firm understanding of the different ways in which global development projects are being financed
- You have at least a Bachelor’s degree; however, a Master’s degree in a related field of study, such as international development, business or instructional design is greatly preferred
- You not only can, but enjoy, managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment. You are comfortable with change.
- You demonstrate a strong leadership capacity and ability to work well across a number of teams.
- References will be required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship and relocation expenses will not be covered for this position.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
What would get us excited?
Sophisticated Communicator. You present yourself as an articulate, polished and sophisticated individual and have experience interacting comfortably with high-level individuals and groups, including with persons of high wealth and intelligence. You listen carefully as well as give advice and respect the abilities of others. You are transparent and share openly.
Team Player: You like to work closely with a team and across teams and can navigate a matrix of reporting lines and responsibilities to achieve common objectives; you foster collaboration and support your colleagues.
Natural fundraiser. An understanding of the international development donor community (e.g., USAID, DFID, Gates Foundation) as well as impact investing space, is a plus.
Entrepreneur. MaverickNext is a start-up. We are looking for creative, engaged people who want to be part of evolving the model. You are comfortable taking on responsibilities outside your direct scope to advance the model, working closely with team members, trying new things, failing fast and pivoting.
Language Skills. It’s not a requirement, but a great addition if you speak French with a high level of proficiency.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
*This position is subject to MaverickNext funding and therefore may not be permanent.