PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
PATH’s Advocacy and Public Policy (APP) department works to improve the health of women and children by strengthening policies and financing impacting their well-being, including support for research and development. We work with policymakers, coalitions, and other influential stakeholders to drive change at the global, national, and subnational levels.
PATH is recruiting a Senior Analyst, Public Health Advisor, to provide policy and technical support to initiatives in collaboration with the Private Office of the President, government of South Africa and with regional bodies within the SADC. The position will primarily lead, advise, guide, coordinate, and provide subject matter expertise to complex country, regional and global health issues to the Government of South Africa, including the Private Office of the President (POP), the National Department of Health and other Ministries, as well as liaise with entities in the Southern African region and support work with regional and continental bodies.
The ideal candidate will have experience in Policy analysis, pandemic preparedness and response, global health financing and high level political and technical engagements. The candidate should demonstrate ability in understanding of the global health landscape and policy issues, including multilateral partnerships and agreements, global funding instruments, intellectual property, product development/medical manufacturing, and other global policy issues that have a direct impact on health and access to essential medicines.
The Senior Analyst, Public Health Advisor will report to the Senior Policy and Advocacy Officer based in Nairobi and link with the Regional Advocacy team based in Nairobi and South Africa and to the Africa External Affairs Director.
- Track and analyze policy trends and conditions and provide advice on Africa’s manufacturing, Health R&D, regulatory harmonization, public health system and pandemic preparedness and health security to inform policy actions
- Gather data and produce reports on the quantitative and qualitative analysis on Africa’s manufacturing, Health R&D, regulatory harmonization and global health security issues.
- Perform in-depth research and trend analysis to support Africa’s manufacturing, Health R&D, regulatory harmonization and relevant global health financing.
- Gather intelligence on various economic issues affecting Africa’s manufacturing, Health R&D, regulatory harmonization, global health financing and other pandemic preparedness initiatives including tracking global financing mechanisms that have a direct implication on health and health R&D including the recently announced Financial Intermediary Fund (FIF) for Pandemic Prevention, Preparedness and Response
- Keep abreast of and advice on national, regional and global conversations on policies, financing and health architectures that have a direct or indirect implications on health including the WHO Intergovernmental Negotiating Body (INB) with interest in distribution of funds, anti-hoarding policies and border closures
- Conducting detailed business feasibility studies on Africa’s manufacturing, Health R&D, regulatory harmonization, global health financing and other pandemic preparedness initiatives
- Respond to requests for technical assistance and advisory from the Private Office of the President, the NDOH, and other government agencies in South Africa.
- Establish and manage relationships with critical stakeholders in South Africa and the Africa Region
- Identify key policy moments and contribute to planning for advocacy interventions in the global arena that elevate the voice of LMIC on manufacturing and health R&D
- Work with the Snr Policy and Advocacy officer based in Nairobi, and the South Africa and global Advocacy and Public Policy teams to contribute to developing and implementing advocacy strategies and work plans to achieve R&D-related policy change at the global, regional and national levels including: supporting relationship management and coordination of joint advocacy activities with selected partners, networks and coalitions; conceptualizing, coordinating, and executing policy events and briefings; contributing to PATH advocacy and policy analyses and communications materials; monitoring and tracking outputs and deliverables; and supporting PATH’s broader policy & advocacy agenda.
- Contribute to other activities as needed to support the mission of PATH’s work in South Africa, including, from time to time, supporting new business development initiatives, cultivating relationships with key stakeholders, and liaising with other partners.