The Senior Agricultural Economist Officer will participate in the implementation of the Agenda for the Transformation of Agriculture in Africa; provide technical support to the Bank Group’s operational activities in the field of agriculture and rural development, technical studies and institutional mechanisms for agricultural projects/ programs proposed for Bank financing, as well as the feasibility study of their current and future impact and benefits.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the guidance of the Division Manager RDGW.2, in collaboration with the Project Coordinators, the Senior Agricultural Economist Officer is responsible for execution of the following activities with the associated deliveries:
- Undertake and conduct field missions to identify, prepare, evaluate and / or oversee the implementation and monitoring of Bank-financed projects, programmes and sector studies, follow procurement, disbursement and reporting procedures to ensure that they comply with Bank’s Rules and Procedures; or to bring partners to carry out these missions;
- Provide assistance to borrowers in understanding and implementing Bank Group policies and procedures as well as issues related of projects and programmes and resource use;
- Provide technical input to the preparation of Country Strategy Papers and portfolio reviews, with particular emphasis on the agriculture and rural development sector;
- Facilitate, direct, as necessary, reviews of the agricultural sector, preparation of agricultural and rural development projects, mid-term reviews and missions, and processing of project completion procedures;
- Prepare terms of reference (TORs) for studies proposed for Bank financing and participate in the evaluation and processing of agricultural and rural development projects;
- Prepare terms of reference and select consultants for missions and oversee the technical aspects of their work;
- Review procurement documents from Regional Member Countries to ensure that they are in line with the Bank Group’s Rules and Procedures for procurement and make proposals for actions to be taken by the Bank and relevant implementation entities;
- Review feasibility studies and progress reports on projects and make proposals for actions to be taken by the Bank and the executing agencies;
- Provide technical advice to the Disbursement Division of the Bank on the eligibility of project expenditures;
- Participate in or coordinate the preparation of internal reports and documents of the Department; provide expert advice and contribute to working groups inside and outside the Division;
- Negotiate projects with representatives from Regional Member Countries and support projects in the Board;
- Represent the Bank at coordination meetings with other institutions, in regional and international meetings;
- Manage agricultural projects financed by the Bank; Communicating – giving / exchanging ideas, advising, explaining – with the head of division, division staff, project managers, various donors and counterparts from other multilateral institutions;
- Monitor recruitment and performance of external auditors;
- Contribute to the mandate of the Division, taking initiative and providing support as needed;
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. At least a Master’s degree in Development, an Agricultural Engineer (or related discipline), with a specialization in agricultural economics or agro economics.
2. A minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience, with particular expertise in designing and supporting projects implementation in international financial Institutions.
3. Experience in supporting private sector operations would be an added advantage.
4. Proven ability to implement country or sector level agriculture analytical and capacity building initiatives;
5. A good understanding of cross-cutting issues beyond agriculture and social development (e.g. procurement, governance, donors’ practices) at sector/country level;
6. Good knowledge of strategy to deliver transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty;
7. Good knowledge of key aid effectiveness issues especially harmonization of donors’ practices and alignment to borrowers systems.
8. Demonstrated intellectual leadership and ability to integrate sector specific knowledge with broader operational strategy and research objectives;
9. Good networking skills and judgment which are required in the management of professional relationship with external partners working in Africa.
10. Client Orientation to understand, and when appropriate, anticipate client needs, to ensure the clients receive the best possible service from the Bank.
11. Ability to apply innovative approaches and change working methods while remaining effective in changing working conditions.
12. Ability to communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
13. Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct