PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
PATH’s Advocacy and Public Policy (APP) department works to improve the health of women and children by strengthening policies and financing impacting their well-being, including support for research and development. We work with policymakers, coalitions, and other influential stakeholders to drive change at the global, national and subnational levels.
PATH is recruiting an Advocacy & Policy Officer to provide advocacy capacity strengthening and technical support to policy and advocacy initiatives in South Africa as well as with regional bodies within the EAC and SADC. The position will primarily support PATH’s R&D in work in South Africa as well as Advocacy in the Southern African Region in addition to supporting work with NEPAD and the AU among other continental bodies.
Experience developing and implementing advocacy strategies and creating and producing versatile communications products for global health or development, or that target policymakers or decision-makers in the Southern Africa context.
The Senior Advocacy and Policy officer will report to the Advocacy and Partnership Manager based in Johannesburg South Africa and link with the Regional Advocacy team based in Nairobi and the global R&D team based in Washington DC.
- Support the Advocacy and Partnerships Manager in establishing and managing relationships with critical stakeholders in South Africa and the Africa Region
- Work with the Policy and Advocacy Manager to support relationship management and coordination of joint advocacy activities with selected partners, networks and coalitions.
- Support initiative to elevate discussions on the need for equitable access for LMIC to pandemic interventions including vaccines, drugs, diagnostics, and medical products
- Work closely with the Advocacy and Partnerships Manager and members of the APP Team to support initiatives on Regulatory Harmonization in the Africa Region
- Support the Advocacy and Partnerships Manager on PATH’s activities on COVID-19 support to the South African government and to the Africa CDC and other critical stakeholders
- Provide support for initiatives aimed at building the capacity of Civil Society Organizations including the coalition that PATH helped establish in South Africa.
- Support PATH’s Research & Development (R&D) in South Africa and work closely with regional bodies such as EAC and NEPAD to develop and deliver on their workplans, including strategic and project management support.
- Working closely with the Advocacy and Policy Manager, write content for PATH documents and communications including blogs, newsletters, social media, policy reports, fact sheets
- Conceptualize, coordinate, and execute policy events and briefings in collaboration with external partners and APP’s Policy Communications team
- Conduct policy analysis to help shape PATH policy objectives and work with PATH communications team to translate findings into sharable advocacy content
- Support the monitoring and tracking of outputs, policy objectives and deliverables
- Support new business development initiatives including identifying opportunities, outreach to potential funders and increasing the footprint of PATH in South Africa
- Support advocacy engagements in regional advocacy efforts, including liaising and representing PATH with African regional bodies and associated civil society advocacy groups.
- Support the engagement of PATH leadership and program experts in relevant meetings, committees, and forums