Internews is a social-impact organization dedicated to building healthy, trusted and relevant media and information systems in countries and communities where they struggle to exist. We envision a world where everyone, everywhere can access, create and exchange the news and information they need to shape their communities and the world. In our 35-year history, we have bolstered the capacity of tens of thousands of media entrepreneurs, journalists and digital activists in over 120 countries, with a core focus on building resilience in the sector to support the sustainability of reputable news production. Internews is not a news-producing organization; rather we support thousands of news organizations around the world with the skills they need to produce quality news that is sustained by business models that work.
The change in the information environment over the past few years is unprecedented, and the challenges to the survival of reputable news has repercussions in every other sector. Media around the world are grappling with the transition to digital environments, and as media struggles, bad actors and information have rushed to fill the gap. There is a global proliferation of misinformation, disinformation, propaganda and hate speech, and trust in news media is plummeting.
In a world where news publishers are increasingly unable to sustain themselves, the need for viable strategies to support reliable news and information and its role in maintaining the health of societies and economies is acute.
Internews is recruiting for a Senior Advisor, Media Market Solutions to focus on business and market-based strategies and solutions to tackle the multitude of challenges in the information landscape that affect the survivability of media. The ideal candidate will have experience in media business models including, but not limited to, digital advertising, subscriptions, memberships and events. He or she will also have deep knowledge of the business trends in the media market and a creative approach to problem solving.
The Senior Advisor will be responsible for:
- Providing specialized media business expertise to partners in Internews projects around the world (approx. LOE 50%)
- Supporting Internews’ business development, though outreach and networking, coupled with providing specialized expertise to proposal design (approx. LOE 25%)
- Representation and thought leadership around this issue, including serving as a lead within our ground-breaking coalition, United for News (approx. LOE 25%)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Provide direct support and technical advice about successful media business models and practices, market strategies and solutions that could work for Internews’ partners in our projects around the world
- Drive pilot activities and extract learnings to share within the organization and externally as appropriate
- Serve as technical lead on proposals and development opportunities related to market strategies and solutions
- Actively think about and research both current thinking and approaches to media sustainability globally, as well as ideas being discussed as we look towards the next five years
- Think about sustainability broadly, including the role of traditional media (such as community radio) and particular challenges and solutions to its sustainability
- Guide Internews in development and design of its overall approach to successful media business models
- Develop thought leadership materials including ideas, research papers, public reports, case studies, thought pieces, practical tips and tools
- Build strong networks across the NGO and private sector, maintaining connections to stakeholders, implementers, experts, donors etc. to continue learning from different perspectives and to share and think more deeply about market solutions and strategies
- Represent Internews at events, on panels and at industry fora, including actively seeking out opportunities to engage with a wide range of stakeholders and audiences
- Business, journalism, media or related academic qualification
- At least 5 years’ experience on the business side of the media industry, working either with publishers or with advertisers.
- Understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing media globally, including misinformation, digital advertising, geo-political influences and other challenges
- Direct experience building successful revenue streams with reputable news outlets, in a variety of contexts with a variety of platforms, strongly preferred
- Some experience with media business in other country contexts strongly preferred
- Industry/professional connections within the global advertising industry preferred
- Business development and relationship management experience
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing, and listening
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.